Patent Date Magazine Question

This is a " repeat " found with the Dillinger gang in Tucson... Borrowed from the National Museum of Crime & Punishment in Washington DC.

My 28N as the model. ( you know I had to toss this in ! )

These XX box mags are interesting subjects, gets down to extreme details. No expert here, but talks about blanks etc are interesting.

I know Jim is holding back-

Opp, wrong gun, same XX box magazine.... You'll figure it out. Age thing....

DSCN7021.JPG

DSCN7015.JPG

Edited by OCM

There are actually two different versions of the 24-24 patent date mags. The first version was from the Colt era. The second and later version was made by Mitchell Stamping Company (MSCO) for Auto-Ordnance. Look for the MSCO stamped on the inside of the backstrap. The 20-24 mags, which are incorrect, are also MSCO.

Of the MSCO mags, I don't know that either is more prevalent.

See the pinned mag post for details and examples of each.

There are actually two different versions of the 24-24 patent date mags. The first version was from the Colt era. The second and later version was made by Mitchell Stamping Company (MSCO) for Auto-Ordnance. Look for the MSCO stamped on the inside of the backstrap. The 20-24 mags, which are incorrect, are also MSCO.

Of the MSCO mags, I don't know that either is more prevalent.

See the pinned mag post for details and examples of each.

I would also add , I don't think we know for sure which MSCO mag came first, the 20/24 or the 24/24.

I suspect they may have made the incorrect 20/24 first and then corrected with the 24/24, but I don't know.

Does anyone know for sure??

Jim C

• 8 months later...

There is also a noted difference in the hyphen in these stampings of the repeat date mags which some collectors search for....

• 7 years later...

I presume the Patent Date magazines were pre 2nd World War manufactured?

I have one, the version described in the ‘Thompson Box And Drum Magazine Guide’, as a ‘Maguire Era “Error” Patent Date Magazine’. Does anyone know if these magazines are common to find these days or one of the harder to find Thompson XX magazines? Mine came with a deactivated M1928, (not US 1928A1), I bought back in 1997.

Are the Patent Date magazines in general, not necessarily the 'error' version, easy to come by?

Thanks

Richard

Richard,

Since buying a Colt this year I have bought only 3 such magazines and none of them are as nice as my Colt Navy. So I would say they are not common in nice condition.

Jim C

Here’s a nice clean example of a Maguire Era ‘Error’ Patent Dated magazine.

It is stamped stamped MSCO inside on the back strap.

post-262511-0-69754800-1640879757_thumb.jpeg

post-262511-0-21379200-1640879819_thumb.jpeg

Edited by John Dillinger

but what is the rarest of the 2 ?

Paul,

I really do not know. All I can say is since I started looking for Colt mags ,I've bought 3 of the 24/24 mags and only 1 of the 20/24 mags. But that really doesn't mean much.

Jim C

I had forgot about this old post till, 'John Dillinger' brought it back up, nice magazine by the way.
Since 2014, I have added a few more Patent date magazines to my collection, including two Colt era Patent Date magazines, thanks to TD.
So I now have a total of nine Maguire era Incorrect Patent Date '20/24' magazines, 8 of which are marked with MSCO on the inside backstrap, and one without the MSCO stamp. Two of those magazines have had the witness holes soldered during WW2.
Since 2012, I have only found two Maguire era Correct Patent Date '24/24' magazines, with MSCO stamped inside backstrap of both. One of those I exchanged for a well used Colt era Patent date magazine, which had a WW2 baseplate on it, so on reflection , I was sold short on that deal. Back then I did not have so much knowledge on Thompson magazines, you live and learn.
So to answer Jim C's question, I definitely think the Correct patent date ‘24/24’, are the rarer of the two to find.
Edited by rpbcps

I concur Richard.

Maguire 24 24s are much harder to find and Im still looking for an example.

As you know I do have a Colt Era Blank and 2 Colt Patent Dated mags so the XX collection is coming along nicely my friend.

post-262511-0-98767300-1640963113_thumb.jpeg

Edited by John Dillinger

I have sold a few Patent Date mags from Dougs stuff on Gunbroker. They appear to have been sandblasted and reblued as they all have a flat finish. They have sold for $75-$90.

Bob

Happy New Year Bob,

Were they Maguire or Colt era Patent Date mags, and if Maguire era, 'correct' or 'incorrect' Patent Date versions, out of curiousty?