United Specialties Company Tmsmg

you have confused yourself...the add you read referred to a 1928 TSMG by AO and a Drum by AO with the "U" marking for United Specialities(who made drums, not guns)

The gun being advertised is an AO by West Hurley.

The serial number will probably have a letter “A” suffix i.e., No. 2000A. I suggest looking for USGI parts. The more it has, the better off you will be. You should be able to field strip gun and check the markings on the bolt and actuator. S, R, P and AOC markings are a good thing. You may see two different types of S markings. Don’t worry about that; one type mark is for Savage and one is for Stevens. The bronze lock will be marked S or AOC and the markings will be easy to find. Any parts that are not USGI will probably have to be replaced at some point in time. A checkered USGI actuator and a Lyman rear sight are a plus – especially the rear sight. The West Hurley rear sight is junk. I would also check the fitting of the drum to gun. A test fire session would be an excellent idea. Try it in both Single and Full Auto fire. 100 rounds (50 for the drum) will give you a pretty good idea of what you are looking at. $13,000 seems a bit on the high side. I would consider making a lower offer unless this is the perfect gun (and then you can still make a lower offer). You will find many more West Hurley’s at or around this price – and will learn something new with each one you look at.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out?

Guys and gals ? anyway I am a newbue and just brought a wh1928 haven"t got it home yet but have shot it (700) and shoots great , the serial # is 1197A, will it have the gi parts? Also the lyman(?) rear sight jars forward all the way in recoil, how do I fix that? and the comp loosens up the set screw also, I think blue or red lockthight will fix that . Looking on the drum buys since sept, I still need at least 1. Any ideas for the sight? Stevedf in Wyoming, A great place to shootandshootandshoot.

stevedf,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase!

All Thompsons, full or semi, Kahr, Trast, Colt, AOC, Savage, etc. made are great guns. (Though some may be greater than others.)

For the sight and comp looseness, there are a number of discussions on types of fixes and success or lack thereof in the archives. Please search with diligence. If I may offer one related suggestion, you may wish to replace the faux-Lyman ladder sight with a genuine Lyman ladder sight which can be purchased from IMA (see FAQ section) for $295 + HIS last I knew. Most purchasers have been satisfied with the product sold by IMA.

Many happy times with your Thompson!

Congratulations on your new purchase. Your West Hurley Thompson was manufactured in 1982. You will have to check for USGI parts. I am sure all West Hurley Thompsons have some GI parts, however, I know of no real pattern to what type part was used and when. See my above post on what to look for. I suggest buying Frank Iannamico's book, AMERICAN THUNDER. This book is out of print but can be located. I believe an updated book by Frank will be on the market soon. The rear sight you describe is probably a West Hurley rear sight. It is a piece of junk. The compensator is loose because the West Hurley Thompsons did not have pinned compensators. Pinning the compensator is a recommended upgrade and should not be too expensive. See the FAQ, above for a lot more useful information.

Welcome to the board.