24 replies to this topic

#21 j.hayes1942

j.hayes1942

• Regular Group
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Military history and arms.

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

Greetings all,

Be cautious of any request to send funds overseas also. On of my colleagues at work was silly enough to send money off-shore for an old Ford Mustang. Not only did he get ripped off, but we gave him a hard time for the longest, until he shot himself in the hand while sleep-walking. He hasn't heard the end of that one yet.    jh

#22 johnsonlmg41

johnsonlmg41

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 741 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

Use the phone.  I have an ad on sturm for the last 2 weeks for an NFA item and had about 4 responses.  All ask for pics, and all asking for a pic of the forms. I've provided pics in a couple cases, but no pics on the forms unless we can work out a phone call.    Not happening unless we can have a discussion on the phone first.  Then I'll be asking who your transfer dealer is.  The NFA world has less than two degrees of separation.  We're talking about less than 10k people, probably much less.  If I don't know you or haven't heard of you or your dealer, then we certainly know someone in common?  And then can provide a reference one way or the other, communicate and then maybe make a deal.   I can't think of a buy or sell I've done without a phone conversation, except small parts, and even then I'll likely verify a mailing address on the google.  If you're just relying solely on email without other verification you're gonna get burned.  It's a daily occurence on sturm, just by sheer volume of transactions. 

#23 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4769 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

Here's a post on Sturm where Buddy details 24 different scams that he zapped...

http://www.sturmgewe....cgi?read=74850

I'm going to pin this topic for reference.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#24 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:21 AM

Here are some things I've done in the past. Require to see the NFA form the firearm is on, making sure the name of the owner and seller match. See if the seller has been a member of any firearm board for very long and ask the members to act as reference. Do an online search of seller name and see if it turns anything strange. Request to see the firearm in person, if nothing else but to get their reaction. If all looks reasonably okay, ask to receive some kind of signed transaction receipt before you mail tens of thousands of dollars. This is not totally fool proof but at least you have a little paper trail along with the cancelled check. 

#25 sc269

sc269

• Board Benefactor
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 July 2018 - 03:43 PM

Dave, Luckily I avoided a scam I think. I was buying a Raptor Night Vision Scope, Think it was 4K used. After I got his address, I called a nearby Gun Shop and offered the guy a 100 bucks if he would inspect the scope and handle the transaction. He was very helpful after I sent him instructions on what to look for. But after I got it all set up and told the guy where to take the scope, only 10 minutes from his home, all of a sudden he had sold it to a friend. HaHa.