New Stock Of Drums Incoming To Sportsmans Guide...

QUOTE (TD. @ Jul 30 2005, 10:02 AM)
TSMGguy and PhilOhio,
The essence of your posts is why I bought only one. I too believe that the floodgates may open on these items and the price will plummet. I consider this purchase as hedging my bets. Let's all hope I loose money on this deal and 9 months from now WWII Thompson drums are 100 bucks a pop!!! Now if I could just beat Jr. out of those Colt magazines he has no use for....

Make me an offa' I can't refuse.... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Anyone care to make a wager on the 100 buck drum theory? We were basically "flooded" with parts kits at one point, considering what was available before, and I don't see them selling for a 100 bucks.... I think there is a cetain intinsic value due to the history and uniqueness(sp?) of the L drum that will never be overcome any increase to the supply.

How about this scenerio. Sportmans guide locates 10,000 drums which they can buy at $10.00 each ($100,000.00 total). Not wanting to risk $100,00.00 they buy 400 drums at 15.00 each ($6,000.00 worth) with an option to buy the rest in 10 days at the original price of $10.00 each. Then they run their first ad. They sell the first 400 at $350.00 each (total sales $140,000.00). Now they buy the remaining 9,600 drums and still have a $36,000.00 profit if they don't sell another drum. That is how I suspect the surplus market works. Now they run their second drum ad before any of the drums have even arrive in their warehouse. I love this country.

These drums were not made in the "millions", they were made in the hundreds of thousands. But remember, they were also sent back to us in the hundreds of thousands... and ordered destroyed by the military brass because they saw no sence in storing such an "obsolete" item. What remains overseas may not be as big a cache' as some of us think. But then again, perhaps even as few as as several thousand of these babies may be enough to satisfy all the Thompson aficionados' that are out there. Who knows, it's anybodys guess. as of right now, this seems like a pretty good price, it may change, it may not. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

Mike Hammer

Around 1991 IMA sold WW2 L drums around $190-210 range prior to any type of magazine ban. I think the $100 per drum price is wishful thinking and I hope it happens. I think the bottom end is likely to be closer to the $200 range with that only happening if Sportsman Guide import thousands anbd runs out of drum buyers at their current plus some substantial shipping charges, even if one lives a short diastance from their wharehouse in So St. Paul, MN.

QUOTE (Bridgeport28A1 @ Jul 30 2005, 04:10 PM)
Around 1991 IMA sold WW2 L drums around $190-210 range prior to any type of magazine ban. I think the $100 per drum price is wishful thinking and I hope it happens. I think the bottom end is likely to be closer to the $200 range with that only happening if Sportsman Guide import thousands anbd runs out of drum buyers at their current plus some substantial shipping charges, even if one lives a short diastance from their wharehouse in So St. Paul, MN.

How much was shipping on your drum/s?

QUOTE (msfhotrod @ Jul 30 2005, 05:51 PM)
PhilOhio Doyou know of any reason why sportsmansguide will not sell drums or ammo to us in ohio. Do we have a new law that I don't know about?

I think the problem stems from secton 2923.11, paragraph (E) of the Ohio Rev. Code.

Here is the problem line,

" "Automatic firearm" also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading,"

I think that their (SG's) interpretation is wrong because further on in the code it says that "Automatic firearms" purchased under federal guidelines are exempted. It does'nt really matter because SG is not interested in debating the issue.

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Jul 31 2005, 10:19 AM)
msfhotrod and Lancer,

I double checked again with my local firearms law experts and they insist that there is an obscure passage of Ohio law which specifically defines the over-30-round mags themselves as machineguns. I cannot personally cite such a passage of code, so it's informed hearsay. It's not too new...more than several years old, at least.

Lancer's concept is correct, as applied to semis with big mags, but it appears there's more to it than that.

Phil,

After reading your post I reread the firearms section of the Ohio Rev. Code, the only line I can find in regard to over 30 round capacity is the one I cite in my previous post. If there is another passage dealing specifically with mags perhaps you can get your firearms law experts to cite the specific chapter and paragraph. I'm going to do some more checking but at this point I have doubts another passage exists.

QUOTE (deerslayer @ Jul 29 2005, 11:49 PM)
I was at their factory outlet store in the twin cities today and about 5 p.m. Said they didn't have any. They didn't offer to see if any were coming in either. I'll have to say the people working there were not the most ambitious looking bunch of people I've ever seen.
Dan

Yeah they have some strange people that "work" at the outlet store.

Chris

Phil,

I had an informal conversation on this subject with the local Municipal Prosecutor/ Law Director who happens to be a close friend. I say informal because I don't want anyone to construe this as legal advise in any way.

He read over the passages in the Ohio Rev. Code that I had highlighted but did not do a though intensive search of the code on the subject.

My take on what he had to say was this:

50 rnd. drums are legal to buy, sell and own in Ohio, however, if you insert the drum into a firearm, that firearm, if not already a machine gun, becomes a machine gun. Sooo, if your gun is a legally registered machine gun, you're ok.

Interestingly, he seemed to have more concerns about passages further on in the code alluding to applying for and having a license from the state to own an automatic weapon.

I live in Ohio and own a Russian SKS (10 shot magazine). I am also one of those dreaded people most members of this board despise, that is until they are in trouble. I am a lawyer (wisper, wisper, shame, shame). While my high school classmates were enjoying life I worked a 40 plus hours a week job and went to college at night for eight (8) years (summers included) to earn my degrees. But I digress. I wanted to purchase a 75 round AK47 drum that had been modified to fit the SKS. After reading the Ohio law it became apparent if I put the 75 round magazine with the Semiautomatic SKS I would be committing a felony since I would then have a firearm of a caliber greater than .22 rimfire that was cabable of firing more than 31 shots with sucessive pulls of the trigger, without reloading, which would make it "Dangerous Ordnance" under Ohio law and thus a Felony to possess that combination. Ohio Law excepts those firearms which are registered with the Federal Government (i.e. machinegun) but since you can't register a semiauto rifle with ATF what could I do? Ahha! Ohio law also allows you to register "Dangerous Ordnance" with the Sheriff for a $50.00 fee. Since I really wanted a 75 round drum for my SKS I applied to the Sheriff. They didn't know what I was talking about and I had to explain the law to them. A stupid law I might add, but since I can't change it, I must obey it. Eventually the sheriff issued me a license and I bought the 75 round drum for my SKS. It is the only permit ever issued by our sheriff and as far as I know the only permit issued in Ohio. Attention all you semiauto MG34, semiauto Browning 1919 and semiauto S&W 76 owners who live in Ohio. If your semiauto is larger caliber than .22 rimfire and capable of firing more than 31 rounds in succession (for example 50 round belt or magazine that will hold more than 30 shots) you had better read 2923.11 of the Ohio Revised Code. PhiOhio, your 10/22 is exempt because it is .22 rimfire.

P.S. I registered the Dangerous Ordnance as "Russian SKS semi-automatic rifle, caliber 7.62x39 with detachable box and drum magazines having an ammunition capacity which permits the rifle to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading". I've seen 50 round SKS magazines advertised for sale but haven't bought any yet. Why did I go to the trouble to obtain a license and pay the $50.00? Because if convicted of a felony I loose my right to own, possess or use a firearm and they take my license to practice law. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

Same here I picked up the repro canvas bag and it looks great, shipped really fast and if and when the drums ship there is no extra shipping charges. BTW I thought you lived in AK........

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Aug 2 2005, 01:26 AM)
Is there an Ohio form to complete (doubt it), or do you have an exemplar of a letter/piece of paper that worked, to educate both me and my local sheriff?

Phil,

If you have a C&R FFL, the ATF should have sent you a copy of "State Laws and Ordinances- Firearms 2004-25th edition" purple in color.

The info that needs to be on the application form is laid out in the Ohio Rev. Code. chapter 2923.18, section ( B )

I agree that the license is not required for machine gun owner ship in Ohio, I'm just not sure why.

Phil: There isn't a form. I will bring a copy of my file and give it to you at the TCA show. The file will include a copy of the "License to possess dangerous ordnance" I mushfaked. P.S. My License number is 2002-45-A. I chose 2002 for the year the license was issued and the 45 for the county number (Licking). The sheriff chose the "A".

P.P.S.S. I forgot to mention in my prior post about semi-automatic MG34s, 1919s and S&W 76s, also a warning for the Ohioans who own a West Hurley of Kahr semi-auto Thompson. A 50 round drum with the firearm makes it a "automatic firearm" and therefore "Dangerous Ordnance"" and thus a felony to possess under current Ohio law.

I ordered four and signed up for the member's discount. They gave me the full discount on all four. Of course they won't ship until November (or later, or never) but I saw no limit. I did use the online order system.

QUOTE (Z3BigDaddy @ Aug 1 2005, 04:22 PM)
Same here I picked up the repro canvas bag and it looks great, shipped really fast and if and when the drums ship there is no extra shipping charges.  BTW  I thought you lived in AK........

No I live in Oklahoma. There is someone else has a has a handle that is close to moparnascar.

Bill

QUOTE (skoda @ Aug 2 2005, 03:45 PM)
I ordered four and signed up for the member's discount. They gave me the full discount on all four. Of course they won't ship until November (or later, or never) but I saw no limit. I did use the online order system.

They'll catch up to you.... Just plan on payin the extra money....