Sar Show Report

Great show - thompson drums overpriced for condition. Didnt see anything in thompson items that jerked by string. One member on this board got a real deal, but I will let him tell if he wants to.

I will go next year if at all possible.

Met great people and had great time.

This was posted by Dan Shea on Bowers NFA discussion board.

"Seen walking through the show with big smiles... guy who bought original C drum and NY drum 1500 for the pair Woo hoo on that...."

Very interesting so we have one VERY lucky buyer and one VERY unlucky seller OR we have a total miscommunication of the transaction down the line.

I find it difficult to believe that in this day and age someone would let loose a pair of original drums for that kind of dough, but anything can happen. A seller at an event like this would/should normally be reasonably informed on values hence my doubt.

Wow! Although few and far between, such finds are a great incentive to attend these shows. I'll have to check it out sometimes.

My first show of this kind. Saw Gordon, Murray, and Merle. Only spoke briefly with Merle 'cause the other guys were busy.

Bought a repo TSMG sling from the guy whose table was between Merle and Gordon. Roger Cox?

Lot's of Thompsons. Talked quite a while with John Thedford. His 21 came out of the Massachusetts prison system. He was turning down $25k. His M1 was real nice but he wasn't sure where to price it. I saw a Westie sell at $13.5k. (That's $1.5k above FMV IMHO). The Todds had a '28AC priced around $19k, which I believe is probably where the market is for those guns. I think that should put the M1s around $15k to $16k but John thought that was too low for his gun.

Meet a lot of folks whose name I know but had never seen. Tom Bowers, Dr Phil Dater, Kent Lamont, and many others. I was lookng for a 1919A4. Saw two that I liked but at $15k to $16k, I didn't feel comfortable pulling the trigger. Though I didn't see it, there was a Shrike upper there. If these actually do make it to market, I think they will kill 1919 prices.

Glad I went but probably won't do it again.

Gave fourteen for a M1A with the bent sight wing and some wear, a few months ago. Little high then for a cash deal then (however, was a long term trade / consignment with no fee's and thus good for all), probably getting close to a fair price now (Brickyard ... was not an offer to sell ... yet ;-).

Liked the Shrike vs 1919A4 comparision, however, think their will be few less M16s and Shrikes if the Shrike / M16 is used as hard as an actual medium machine gun (some of the guys with Shrike's on order are talking like they think they are water cooled Vickers or 1917s and can be fired for thousands of rounds at one time ;-).

Thanks for the SAR show update, wish work would have allowed making it this year.

Edited by JTinIN

I egged Gordon on by buying one each of a cleaning rod, flat ejector, and a box (package deal price). Just because I could. They will go into my safe and my heirs can sell them. I therefore am completely innocent in trying to cheat anybody as I cannot profit from the transaction.

Doug http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Drove up from tucson sat spent the day enjoying the show. Meet a lot of nice people from this forum & the uzitalk forum. Picked threw tapcos mags and bought a few myself. one seymore & one colt. Checked out Gordons ejectors. Thought they were probably better than original. No problem reconizing them as a new part. The weather sucked driving home but all in all it was a great day.