Newbie--a Few Q's On The Incoming

Have a Auto Ord 1928AC overstamp incoming.

Gun came from the Mobile PD and is prominently marked as such. If you're on the firing line, the guy 25 positions down knows the gun was "PROPERTY OF MOBILE POLICE DEPT." as the receiver is marked in about 3/4 inch letters. Gun is in excellent condition otherwise. Do I leave it as is and try to get some history on the gun together, or refinish it?

Purchased some military 30 rd mags, most marked Seymour. Some marked as 30 round .45 Automatic with the small letters "co" surrounded by a semi-circle underneath. Any idea on manufacturer?

Oiler. Anyone got a picture of an oil can for one of these? I inherited part of a workshop and got a ton of small oil cans, about 2" in height. It would be great if one of these was the right animal.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ken

Leave it alone! The marking is part of the history of your Thompson. Purchase a copy of "Thompson, an american legend" by Tracie Hill or "American Thunder - the military thompson" by Frank Iannamicio and learn more.

I'm confused. Gun description is not clear.

Is the gun a Colt 21/28 Overstamp? Or is it an Auto Ord post-war 1928A1 where the "1" of the A1 was over-stamped with a "C"? A number of such guns were reportedly sold to PDs after WWII.

I believe the post war 1928 gets the crinkle black finish oiler. As Arthur stated, the 21/28 gets the nickle finish.

No, just on one side. Like I said, you know where it came from 25 spots down the line.

The photo doesn't do the gun justice, the flash over-highliting really minute marks in the gun. It is really nice, even with the PD markings. I have contacted the Mobile PD to see if I can get some history.

Thanks again,

Ken

Edited by TNKen

15xxx serial.....really early Bridgeport! (even earlier than my 51xxx A.O. gun!)

I certainly wouldn't refinish that....looks great!

The U.S. was ground off at the arsenal before it was sent to the PD as it would no longer be US property. Other than that it's in really nice shape!

Get any drums with it?

john http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

Very nice gun. Couldn't hide where it's from. That is a perfect collector piece. Do no do anything to the finish or the letters. If you don't like the big ol' letters on the side, I'll trade you one that doesn't have big letters on the side.

Picked up an AO drum from a guy in Kansas, unfired in the oil cloth for $800. Haven't figured out how to get it open yet!!!!

Picked up ten 30 round mags for blasting from TAPCO, got 3 in excellent condition, 4 in good condition, 2 in fair condition, and 1 that went back. Mostly Seymour's but I'm not sure what the other ones are. See first post.

Thanks for the compliments. The guy was a Colt collector. Thought we had a 21 in the deal, original FBI case, with drum and mags, but one of the sons claimed it. Rats. But, this gun runs perfect and is matching, so I'm happy. You've convinced me to leave it alone, and I'll hope I get info from the PD.

Thanks guys.

Ken

Beautiful gun! I think the Police markings make it more unique. Don't refinish; preserve the history!

Smooth barrel, L style sights... a unique piece... and definitely a shooter and not a collector's piece.

Just looking the item it just screams history. I bet there if it could talk, you would hear some wild stories.

My 2 cents... don't touch a thing. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

John and TNKen,

I would respectfully suggest you get a copy of Frank Iannamico's book American Thunder and read the section dealing with the Auto-Ordnance guns with the US and 1 removed and serial numbers follwed by an X. Frank did a lot of research on these guns and the best he can conclude is that they may have been made from exisiting (not Numrich leftover) parts after production of the 1928 Model ceased in late 1942 or early 1943.

The lack of US Military proof marks would indicate the guns never entered US Military service. They were assembled and generally sold to law enforcement agencies during late and post WWII.

John, I am not trying to start an argument here, but the features on the gun shown would not indicate an early made Auto-Ordnance gun. On the contrary, the smooth barrel and late production stamped L sight would be indicative of late production 1928 guns. Yes, the serial number would indicate earlier production, but the lack of military proofs would indicate the gun was never in military hands, so therefore, never rebuilt at an arsenal.

The more likely explanation is exactly what Frank Iannamico states in his book, that many 1928A1 Models were assembled at the end of the production run for sales to law enforcement and modified with the US ground off and the C stamped in place of the 1 in A1.

It is still a very nice all original WWII era gun and typical of many sold to police agencies in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

Thanks for all the info and help. Looks like a book purchase is in order.

Sorry guys, but I am going to shoot the gun, probably infrequently, a few subgun matches and an occasional trip to the range. With the exception of a NIB PAWS M-16 stripped receiver I just picked up, all of my guns go to the range. I view them as one of the few "investments" you can use and play with, and watch them appreciate.

I'll check the gun closely when it gets home, and post pics of any unusual markings.

Ken

Don't apologize!

These were made for shooting!

ENJOY!

Gotta vote with the PhilOhio theory.

I've got a Savage "Model 1928" built in Oct/Nov, 1941 which has the finned barrel, Lyman leaf sight, non-cross bolt stock, paddle selector and safety, and knurled actuator knob. I believe these are correct for that vintage Savage build.

The gun came with a police ID hang tag.

The gun has no military proof marks.

The finish is the original black oxide (about 85-90%).

The "U.S." and "A1" were buffed down before the receiver was finished but are still clearly visible. (That's why I called it a "Model 1928" above, not 1928A1).

My guess - PD ordered a "Thompson Model 1928" on or about September, 1941 and that's what they got. Follows what I believe PhilOhio said.

I'll have it with me at the TCA shoot in August if anybody wants to check it out.

Alternative theories are welcome.

Arthur and TNKen,

According to Frank's book and personal conversations I have had with him, his research established that C CO was indeed Crosby Company. As I recall, Tracie is in full agreement. That's good enough for me!

Roger