Sbr & Nfa Question

Before purchasing the machine gun buyers guide I was wondering if any one knows if it is legal in Michigan to own a SBR or a NFA gun or if Michigan is a C&R state. I currently own semi thompsons and my M1 needs a shorter barrell if it's legal. And a nfa M1 would sure round out the collection.

Thanks

M1Brian

M1Brian,

Excerpts from FAQs at

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1...10953--,00.html

Do rifles or shotguns with collapsible/folding stocks have to be registered in Michigan?

MCL 750.222 Yes, provided the rifle or shotgun is 30 inches or less in overall length with the stock collapsed/folded but at least 26 inches and the barrel length is at least 16 inches and 18 inches respectively. Attorney General’s opinion #6280: if the firearm is less than 26 inches in overall length or the barrel is less than 16 or 18 inches respectively, the firearm is considered a short-barreled rifle or shotgun and is illegal to possess. MCL 750.224d There is an exception for short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles which the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has found to be a curio, relic, antique, museum piece, or collector’s item not likely to be used as a weapon.

The possessor must comply with Section 2 (License to Purchase) and Section 9 (Safety Inspection Certificate/registration) of Act 372.

I want to purchase as UZI Model B, 9MM semi-automatic carbine with a folding stock. Are these legal in Michigan?

Under MCL 750.222 and Attorney General’s Opinion #6820, the answer is no. The UZI carbine (barrel length 16.1 inches, length with stock contracted 24.4 inches, length with stock extended 31.5 inches) is a short-barreled rifle and their SALE and/or POSSESSION is prohibited according to an Attorney General’s opinion.

I have a federal license to collect curios and relics. Can I legally possess a fully-automatic firearm in Michigan?

Under the Federal Gun Control Act, individuals may possess only those fully-automatic firearms which were manufactured before May 19, 1986.

MCL 750.224 Yes, but only if the firearm is classified under federal statutes as a curio or relic. If the fully-automatic firearm is a pistol, then you must obtain a License to Purchase and present the pistol for a Safety Inspection Certificate.

I have a Class III Federal License to sell certain types of fully-automatic pistols and machine guns. Can I legally sell these firearms in Michigan?

Under the National Firearms Act, only those firearms which have been previously registered in the National Firearms Register and Transfer Record maintained by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms may be lawfully transferred to a person who is qualified to receive such firearms.

Good luck with your endeavors.

So from what I gather by those laws is that I can't put a short barrell on my WH M1 semi because it is not over 50 yrs. old but if I get a C&R liscense I can legally purchase and own any full auto thompson manufactured before 1954? That's kind of like my buddy telling me he saw a ad for a collapsable stock and was going to make his AR15 look like my pre ban 6520 until I told him if he liked jail go ahead and do it. Then he realized thats why pre ban guns are so expensive.

I guess it's time to get the buyers guide and talk to our CLEO and see if this is something possible or worth it.

M1Brian

M1Brian,

As well as the WWII and prior Thompsons, the West Hurley M1 model (1985-1986), the West Hurley WWII Commemorative (1983) Model 1928 and the West Hurley Korean War Commemorative (1984) Model 1928 but apparently not the West Hurley Vietnam War Commemorative (1985) Model 1928 Thompson Submachine Guns are recognized as curios & relics by the ATF.

As you may gather from other threads, the quality, functionality, and collectability (i.e., value) of the West Hurley made TSMGs are all questioned by a number of Board members. I can not speak to that. I only mention the particular models as being available to you for ownership in a C&R machinegun state such as Michigan.