• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 m3bobby

m3bobby

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 05:00 AM

Barrels left the factory either Browned (A British finish similar to Blueing) or later Parked. The number one (if in line with the bore) was often used to indicate the top of the barrel. The barrel was fitted and then a number of rounds put through it to see where the MPI fell on target. They would then rotate the barrel in the gun until they found the best position. Then they would put a line or a 1 on the top of the bore axis so the barrel could be re-installed to the correct position.

#22 huggytree

huggytree

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2763 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, Guns, Work

Posted 17 July 2018 - 08:18 AM

now i know why it has a 1 on it...thanks..pretty cool

so maybe the barrel was part of a rebuilt....maybe a new barrel when they rebuilt it and never used it

thanks for the explanation...i need to buy a book for sure...educate myself on this stuff...

#23 huggytree

huggytree

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2763 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 09:11 AM

to me it looks like it was sprayed after assembled

RYpiy2k.jpg

#24 geefal

geefal

• Regular Group
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 06:58 PM

That finish doesn't look original on it.

#25 johnsonlmg41

johnsonlmg41

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 793 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 07:10 PM

That finish doesn't look original on it.

Original......Krylon gloss.  Should have grabbed the satin!

#26 huggytree

huggytree

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2763 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 07:45 PM

i read they were just painted black....like a sterling

its oiled up...its a matte black spray paint....your seeing oil poured on it as its a parts kit going into baggies and storage

#27 m3bobby

m3bobby

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 July 2018 - 07:19 AM

It all depends on what you call original, some were blued/browned, some were parked and some painted in Suncorite. In service Suncorite became the normal protective finish to be applied if required. Barrels were only painted post war when a mid 1940s EMER authorised it. Prior to this they were all, blue/brown, Parked or in the case of some Mk3 barrels, left in the white.

#28 dirtygary

dirtygary

• Regular Group
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 10:50 AM

I never found my STEN II comfortable to shoot with even the loop stock,  so I came up with this. Works for me and I can change everything back to regular configuration is less than 30 seconds.

IMG-6502-resized.jpg

Edited by dirtygary, 01 December 2018 - 08:04 PM.

#29 Nomad3006

Nomad3006

• Regular Group
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:01 AM

New here to the board. I have a Sten Mk2 that I was trying to find viable options for a pistol grip stock assembly without having to move the fire control group forward like the Mk5. One day I got bored and decided to see what I could cobble together in a day and cut/welded together a loop stock and a pistol grip.

I'll have to take some newer pictures after grinding and cleaning up the welds and blueing the attachment points, the only pictures I have right now are right after finishing up with the welding.

https://imgur.com/gallery/jdyJw70

After playing around with it at several different positions, it felt more comfortable to flip it and utilize the comb of the stock on the underside, giving it a good angle and height and a nice little pocket behind the pistol grip for your hand....took it to one of the local machine gun shoots recently and surprisingly got quite a few compliments on it.

Edited by Nomad3006, 11 September 2019 - 09:05 AM.