Reising Finish

Republic

As much as I prefer to preserve the original finish of historical firearms, very little of my m50's original bluing remains, and the previous owner applied generous amounts of cold blue to the receiver; hence, I am looking at options for refinishing.

Although my gun is a 28-fin early model, I am thinking about parkerizing or cerakote - these options seem to be much lower maintenance compared to traditional rust bluing. I have applied these finishes to other firearms (Garands, ARs), but I was wondering if anyone with experience in such matters knows of any special considerations that need to be observed with the Reising and it's soldered receiver lugs.

My factory park reising is unusual. Its like a shiny smooth grey park

A normal rough texture park will stand out to a collector

Id send your gun to someone who specializes in FA to refinish to the correct blue

My factory park reising is unusual. Its like a shiny smooth grey park

A normal rough texture park will stand out to a collector

Id send your gun to someone who specializes in FA to refinish to the correct blue

Thanks for all of the input so far-

I had originally considered parkerizing/cerakote, because they are both low maintenance options, but after reading some of the replies regarding collector value, I think I'll go ahead and re-blue it.

I have the equipment to do either rust blue or hot salt blue, but I honestly can't tell which was originally applied to the gun - it was made at a time when the firearm industry was transitioning from the former to the latter, and although the remaining finish is very dark like salt bluing, it has appearance of rust bluing when examined under a bright light.