Colt 1921AC #3971 - 8" Barrel, Registered in 1934

I'm posting these photos for your commentary and consideration of Colt Model of 1921AC Thompson serial number 3971, which is coming to the market soon, and is pretty unique. It was registered in 1934 by a PD with an 8" barrel. I have a copy of the 1934 paperwork, though for some reason, I'm not able to find it on my computer at the moment.

3971_Thompson_1921 - 001@2x.jpeg3971_Thompson_1921 - 002@2x.jpeg3971_Thompson_1921 - 003@2x.jpeg3971_Thompson_1921 - 004@2x.jpeg3971_Thompson_1921 - 005@2x.jpeg3971_Thompson_1921 - 006@2x.jpeg3971_Thompson_1921 - 007@2x.jpeg3971_Thompson_1921 - 008@2x.jpeg3971_Thompson_1921 - 009@2x.jpeg3971_Thompson_1921 - 010@2x.jpeg

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

OK I think I've seen it all after looking at those pics. Never saw that one before.

Was it modified or factory built like that? Verrrry interesting. I noticed Ruben's logo on the pics. Perhaps he is the current owner?

Thanks for posting. Very cool.

Dave,

Was the gun registered in 1934 specifically mentioning the 8" barrel? My guess would be that the gun was registered in 1934 and the barrel shortened at a later date, maybe a "squib" round damaged the front of the barrel? Interesting gun, thanks for posting.

Dave,

Was the gun registered in 1934 specifically mentioning the 8" barrel? My guess would be that the gun was registered in 1934 and the barrel shortened at a later date, maybe a "squib" round damaged the front of the barrel? Interesting gun, thanks for posting.

Chuck,

It was registered in 1934, specifically with the 8" barrel.

David

The gun may have been registered in 1934 with an 8 inch barrel but that doesn't mean that it wasn't owned and used by someone else prior to 1934.

Perhaps the registering dept bought it in 1924, damaged the barrel, as gijive suggested, had the barrel repaired, and registered it when the 1934 law required.

If this is the case, then who among you, would want to pay extra for a gun with a damaged and repaired barrel.

And by the way, the actuator in the gun is not the same as the one pictured separately.

Jim C

So someone would cut the barrel off, size it and cut new threads on the end when replacement parts were readily available? Possible, but seems like a lot of work/expense but given the timeframe, maybe someone was trying to save some money on a repair.

David,

Does Ruben have a good picture of the end of the barrel inside the comp? Curious as to how well the end is crowned compared to other Colt guns. It would be interesting to pull the comp off the gun and get some pictures of the end of the barrel.

Ron

Dave

Interesting find - I found one with a sawed off barrel years ago. They bulged the barrel, cut it off just behind the bulge and used it that way.

I gotta go with bulged barrel shortened and then refitted with the compensator. It would not be very difficult to do on the bobbed barrel with first model compensator.

If they sent it back to AOC for repair they most likely would have replaced the barrel. I believe AOC was set up in New York to add compensators so they would have been able to make this repair but it still begs the question - why would they?

The gun may have been registered in 1934 with an 8 inch barrel but that doesn't mean that it wasn't owned and used by someone else prior to 1934.

Perhaps the registering dept bought it in 1924, damaged the barrel, as gijive suggested, had the barrel repaired, and registered it when the 1934 law required.

If this is the case, then who among you, would want to pay extra for a gun with a damaged and repaired barrel.

And by the way, the actuator in the gun is not the same as the one pictured separately.

Jim C

Jim,

Yeah, good point. the barrel was likely modified prior to the registration for whatever reason, then the gun was registered in compliance with the NFA in 1934. Interesting that the job looks very professional. It is a 1st Pattern Cutts and the finish on the compensator looks nice as well as the cross-pin, which doesn't appear marred at the ends. It appears to be the original barrel that lines up nicely with the witness mark on the receiver. I noticed the actuator as well, maybe it's a bonus, you get two with the gun?

Edited by gijive

Ron,

Between 1928 and 1932, Colt installed type 1 comps when gun was retuned for a comp.

Around 1932 a new barrel and type 2 comp could be installed if a person didn't mind buying a new barrel.

Why pay for a new barrel if a type one comp could be fitted for less, not to mention the fact that this could have taken place before 1932.

Jim C

I'm posting these photos for your commentary and consideration of Colt Model of 1921AC Thompson serial number 3971, which is coming to the market soon, and is pretty unique. It was registered in 1934 by a PD with an 8" barrel. I have a copy of the 1934 paperwork, though for some reason, I'm not able to find it on my computer at the moment.

attachicon.gif 3971_Thompson_1921 - 001@2x.jpegattachicon.gif 3971_Thompson_1921 - 002@2x.jpegattachicon.gif 3971_Thompson_1921 - 003@2x.jpegattachicon.gif 3971_Thompson_1921 - 004@2x.jpegattachicon.gif 3971_Thompson_1921 - 005@2x.jpegattachicon.gif 3971_Thompson_1921 - 006@2x.jpegattachicon.gif 3971_Thompson_1921 - 007@2x.jpegattachicon.gif 3971_Thompson_1921 - 008@2x.jpegattachicon.gif 3971_Thompson_1921 - 009@2x.jpegattachicon.gif 3971_Thompson_1921 - 010@2x.jpeg

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Some of the very early Thompsons (1919 Model) had shorter than 10.5 inch barrels meaning this has a very rare barrel or the department wanted something a bit more close quarters all I know is I cant afford it and its cool

Looks like Columbus Ohio PD was the original purchaser of No. 3971 as a 1921AC. I like the bulged / shortened barrel theory. Ohio had plenty of master gunsmiths and gunmakers in that era that could have performed the shortening work without issue.

David, do you know if it has a square end actuator slot?

Digger,

Unfortunately, the photos did not capture that detail. I will ask.

I'm going to assume that the 21 actuator comes with it separately, and it has a WWII actuator currently installed. I will also ask about this.

I found this additional photo that shows that the barrel index lines up.

IMG_5696.jpg

My 4th Edition Gordon book lists the following about #3971:

21A

Columbus, Ohio Police Department

E.E. Richardson, Auto Ordnance Salesman for the Frank P. Hall Company - Sold to: the Columbus, Ohio P.D.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com