Is this something I should be concerned about?

I'm looking at an M1 Bridgeport Thompson. The gun looks super clean overall. It obviously has been re-parked at some point. There is some pitting around the chamber area of the receiver that has me a little concerned. Let me know if this looks like an issue I would need to address or leave it as is?

TzWz8VN.jpg

I would ask if the owner knows of any history on this gun. Was it reactivated at one time? I would not flat out say it was welded, but there are some signs that warrant closer inspection. There are some odd marks on the opposite side too. Could be camera messing with us or not. If its just pitting from rust thats one thing, if it is porosity from welding thats another. Id want an in person inspection on this prior to laying out that cash. Camera pics can be tricky and make molehills look like mountains or not fully reveal issues.

8B96FCAE-37FA-4CEA-9593-1DA08ADF908D.png

Ron

I think it's just new park over old corrosion, and not a weld at all. Welds are very hard to dress on the inside of a receiver. Have a look at that area in person.

I think it's a reweld. Maybe I'm wrong, but I see at least 3 red flags, and a yellow flag. I would not purchase this without seeing it in person. Actually, I would disqualify it from consideration, unless it was very close to my location.

Red flags:

- Concentrated porosity on the left hand side that is inconsistent with the finish of the rest of the TSMG

- A mark seems to extend from that porous area across the top of the receiver

- One of the photos shows a variation in color of the receiver finish around the porous area on the left side of the receiver

Yellow flag:

- The mark at the receiver nose on the right hand side of the receiver that Ron identified - I would want to know what is causing that mark, and look at it from different angles

A clear photo of the inside of the receiver would likely resolve this, either way.

Here is a direct link to the auction:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/789489592

Hey...It does come with a Reising pouch! Also, a $300 shipping charge...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

See what you think of the photo below...Why is it only porous in this area of the receiver? Does it have any Ordnance marks? Seems like there's some kind of mark there, but it seems partially obliterated. I need to review AO M1 Thompson acceptance markings.

Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 8.27.45 PM.png

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Absolutely no evidence of weld where the pitting is located. None. It is not a remanufactured, welded receiver but it clearly appears that it WAS a registered DEWAT that has been reactivated. The weld spots at the front edge of the receiver are evidence of the welding of the barrel to the receiver. The welds change the structure of the metal, hardening it, and the parts will not process parkerizing in the same way as the parent metal. The reeactivator could have annealed the welded part of the front end which would have rendered the metal less hard and closer to the parent metal in hardness and the park would take properly making a uniform finish.

Look under the front end of the receiver to see if there is a weld spot indicating repair of the hole left from a pinned barrel. Look into the receiver around the breech for evidence of grinding or lighter spots in the park were welding had been done to close up the breech. Barrel has been changed most likely and the original barrel destroyed in removal for the reactivation.

The reactivation is a real issue with this gun that is an important consideration if it interferes with your sense of what you want. Seller should know that the gun is a reactivation and have told you that information. FWIW

• Upvote 1

Absolutely no evidence of weld where the pitting is located. None. It is not a remanufactured, welded receiver but it clearly appears that it WAS a registered DEWAT that has been reactivated. The weld spots at the front edge of the receiver are evidence of the welding of the barrel to the receiver. The welds change the structure of the metal, hardening it, and the parts will not process parkerizing in the same way as the parent metal. The reeactivator could have annealed the welded part of the front end which would have rendered the metal less hard and closer to the parent metal in hardness and the park would take properly making a uniform finish.

Look under the front end of the receiver to see if there is a weld spot indicating repair of the hole left from a pinned barrel. Look into the receiver around the breech for evidence of grinding or lighter spots in the park were welding had been done to close up the breech. Barrel has been changed most likely and the original barrel destroyed in removal for the reactivation.

The reactivation is a real issue with this gun that is an important consideration if it interferes with your sense of what you want. Seller should know that the gun is a reactivation and have told you that information. FWIW

Bob,

You certainly know more about welding than I do, so I'll defer to your expertise.

In your opinion, what is the source of the porous area to which I refer on the left side of the receiver, and that seems to extend across the top? Is it a rusty remnant?

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I don't think you can tell from the photos exactly what is up with this gun. To evaluate if its

been welded and machined you have to have enough detail to see the machining marks, etc.

which are often blurred by being sandblasted as a necessary part of the parkerizing process.

That being said, IF its a reweld its a really good job. I don't see anything that gives it away.

Rewelding a gun that has been cut thru the ejection port and mag cutout is most difficult and

people usually welds guns in other places that are easier to work with.

I also wonder why only the one area of the receiver is pitted, while the surfaces around it are

smooth and OK. I guess we'll never know....

Bob

Just wait for a gun without pits

Clean guns exist. Be picky

Buying a Thompson isnt like buying a Uzi or Mac. They are not all equal!!! It can take 6 months plus to find the right gun for a correct price

Its a great time for choices and price. Choose a clean gun. Original finish if possible. Matching numbers. Price is pretty close to a pitted, refinished and mismatched

A decent m1a1 finally sold on sturm at $18,750 the other day. The guy wasnt perfect but not that bad either. The seller ended up giving it away.

Ive seen several guns with pitting marks across the top perpendicular to the ejection port. Watch a Thompson as it is being fired and you'll see a swirl of port gases around the front if the receiver nose. I think gas follows the casing out and the gas swirls back to the left over the top.

Now remember that all .45 acp ammo was corrosive and that should give away the source of the pitting.

I just bought another '28 and see some very slight pitting on the top (very fine) with some pitting on the side opposite the port. Very slight but there.

i looked inside for evidence of reweld and found none. It looks clean "as machined"/ top also shows slight Blanchard swirls that pass through the pitted area.

Mind you, all this is very subtle but it's there and part of the character and history of a used military piece.

Bob us right though about the re-wat marks. Any welds show up "off color" and should be reflected in the price.

Tough to find a gun nowadays with original finish....almost all were redone at some point.

Get one you like and enjoy it. If it's too pretty you won't shoot it and IMHO, That would be a shame!

Rewats make great shooters too!

Might be a bargain there after you clue the owner in.....;)

Edited by john