New MG owner, buying an M1 Thompson

Hello all,

I've lurked this forum for a while, made a post here and there, but now I'm sending off the paperwork for my uncle's Savage M1 Thompson!

He doesn't shoot it much anymore, and this was the first MG I ever shot when I was younger. So to be given a chance to buy this particular Thompson is very awesome to me!

But I do have a question. The last few years, my uncle has noticed that the front horizontal grip is getting a little loose and moves side to side. I've seen the barrel bands that supposedly fix this, but is that just a short term fix? From what limited knowledge I have of the Thompson (but man I'm learning!), I believe the barrel has to come off to really fix it permanently.

Here's a picture or two! I've been floating since my uncle and I made the deal... I never would have thought my first machinegun would be an M1 Thompson!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/MauserMatt/Gun%20stuff/92a85194-c2b9-401e-b7c7-a795d0a5cd85.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/MauserMatt/Gun%20stuff/CIMG6089.jpg

Great looking M1! I think you're appreciating how lucky you are.

Not a lot of resolution in your photo, but it looks like you have the later two piece grip mount.

This is the metal bar that the forend wood screw goes into. The two piece mount is well known for failing, and was the reason for the forend clamp. Once they fail, the clamp is not going to fix it.

The fix is to install a one piece GI grip mount.

These are getting more difficult to find, but are still out there; figure around $100.00 for the mount. You can usually find some on Gunbroker, but maybe someone here has one for sale.

The important thing is to have it installed by someone who knows what they are doing, and has the proper tools. The barrel must be removed to replace the grip mount.

There are several people listed in the pinned threads who can do this work.

In no particular order, I can suggest Dan (deerslayer) Block, Reconbob (Philadelphia Ordnance),

John Andrewski, and Paul Krough (PK).

If you can't find the contact information (it's all here), PM me and I'll send it to you.

Edited by mnshooter

The gun is still in Michigan and I live in Florida, so it's been a while since I've actually looked it over closely. But from what my uncle has said, he has tried tightening the grip and that's as far as he's gone. The grip moves from side to side just a little bit, but enough to be annoying.

I wish I had better pictures. I took these pics back in 2008 during Knob Creek at the hotel. He had brought it for the jungle walk (which is a literal blast with the Thompson).

When the gun is in my possession, I definitely want to get this fixed the right way. I don't like things that mar the finish, and I'm sure just throwing a barrel band is like putting a band aid on. I may have a pretty extensive working knowledge of current US army military weapons, but not so much in WWII era Thompsons.

The signed by my uncle Form 4 should be here today and my packet of trust papers and check to the ATF goes out the next day! Can't wait!

Here's a few other pics I took that don't really show much extra detail haha...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/MauserMatt/Gun%20stuff/CIMG6091.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/MauserMatt/Gun%20stuff/CIMG6093.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/MauserMatt/Gun%20stuff/CIMG6094_edit_1423149139313.jpg

Edited by MauserMatt

Transfer it either way but not both. If you want it to go direct on your C&R and save the dealer to in state dealer tranfer you can, get the CLEO signature on the Form 4 and submit. If you want it on a trust you must send it to a class 3 dealer in your state then do another transfer from him to your trust and bypass the CLEO.

You can transfer it on a trust no problem, you cannot tranfer it to your trust and your C&R directly because the C&R is issued to you as an "individual" and a trust isn't an "individual".

Make sense?

Transfer it either way but not both. If you want it to go direct on your C&R and save the dealer to in state dealer tranfer you can, get the CLEO signature on the Form 4 and submit. If you want it on a trust you must send it to a class 3 dealer in your state then do another transfer from him to your trust and bypass the CLEO.

You can transfer it on a trust no problem, you cannot tranfer it to your trust and your C&R directly because the C&R is issued to you as an "individual" and a trust isn't an "individual".

Make sense?

That makes my brain hurt..... It makes sense but doesn't make sense... Looks like I'll be having my uncle fill out another Form 4....

At least it was caught before I sent it to the ATF.... Thanks very much for the info! That's just depressing...

Matt,

Your gun is a low serial number M1 with the early style safety and selector.

I believe your gun has a solid one piece grip hanger.

Your problem is likely to be a case of the forend screw touching the barrel and therefore not getting the forend tight.

A washer or two on the grip hanger screw will likely solve the problem.

Jim C

If you're not already doing it,

I suggest having the gun transferred direct to you using the NFA form 4 as a C&R (using your C&R license).

Then you cut out the dealer in your state, save a few months and $200.

A big Second to that.

Unless you have some reason for wanting a trust, you should spend the extra few weeks and get your C&R license before starting the transfer. You will literally be able to have the gun delivered to your door.

A more important reason is: with the C&R, you can travel with the gun to any state where possession is legal (Knob Creek, for instance) without prior Federal "permission".

Unfortunately, a trust cannot receive a C&R license, so you will need to do this in your name.

Well crap. Yeah I have my C&R, just didn't know I couldn't go the trust route and then have my uncle ship the gun to me. I'm in the army, so staying on the right side of the law is definitely always a priority for me. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I hope my local CLEO will sign off... I haven't gone that route in years since I got the NFA trust.

Thanks for the info jim c 351. I'll keep that in mind when I take possession. I plan on shooting this Thompson, so taking care of it is a priority.

If you can get a better look at the grip mount, just behind the forend you'll either see solid metal -meaning a one piece mount, or signs of a rivet or embedded flush stud, meaning a two piece mount.

Your gun left the factory with a one piece mount, but there is always the chance it was overhauled and replaced with a two piece mount.

Edited by mnshooter

Going off memory and my uncle asking me if I saw anything wrong with it years ago, I don't remember seeing a rivet. It just looked like solid metal.

It's funny cause I remember him putting some super glue in there to try to stiffen it up. He was an engineer/draftsman for Teledyne and Continental motors for 40 years... But he thought super glue might fix it.... Hehe.

Going off memory and my uncle asking me if I saw anything wrong with it years ago, I don't remember seeing a rivet. It just looked like solid metal.

It's funny cause I remember him putting some super glue in there to try to stiffen it up. He was an engineer/draftsman for Teledyne and Continental motors for 40 years... But he thought super glue might fix it.... Hehe.

Enlarging the photo, it looks like there might be a rivet, and possibly even a crack through the grip mount about 1/4" behind the receiver nose. Can't be sure without more resolution.