Thompson 1928 Overstamp Value

I know there isn't a simple answer but it's tough to tell without a bunch of pictures but I have the chance to buy Colt Thompson 1928 Overstamp with original Colt 1921 internals. It has a police department name engraved on the side. I'd rate blueing and condition at 85%. The guy selling is looking for $32k for it. I don't know where the market is on these exactly. Is that fair, high, low? Thanks in advance.

figure 1500 to find a correct navy actuator and 150-250 for the buffer and spring. whatever you detrrmine to be value of a 1928 Navy in that condition, you should back out the cost of getting it there. I have looked at lots of guns and my experience has been that when a gun comes out of a pd, if some parts are incorrect, it is a strong liklihood that may parts are incorrect, espeically wood, as most parts are interchangeable and as these were tools of the trade, armorers mixed and matched all the time. enjoy the hunt. look at as many as you can (in person)--before you drop 32K, spend 350 on a plane ticket. get the books. ask questions. welcome to the boards.

Lot of us here have the 21/28 Overstamp- I'd suggest send photos have the experts take a look, ask tons of questions. Educate yourself. Then ask the seller these questions, if they don't know, better get a ticket like suggested above, but know what the hell you're looking at too.

Then the fun begins-

OCM

It may be a great deal. Or not. If 32K is a lot of money to you then I suggest you learn the product before plunking your money down based soley on Internet advice. Colt Thompson's sell between 20K and 50K (and sometimes higher). This difference in the product between these price ranges is amazing. High quality pictures would provide some good opinions from knowledgeable Board members but pictures do not always tell the entire story. A serial number would be useful as this gun may already be a know quantity. If you do not fully understand the product, you would be much better off paying 35K or 37K for a known Colt with no issues.

If you do not own any reference books, are not a member of The American Thompson Association and/or The Thompson Collectors Association and have never been to an event where you can view multiple Colt Thompsons and speak with those that know this product - find someone like DLansky to advise you on this deal. It takes some time to learn this expensive product.

See the thread on the Savage Commercial Thompson currently on page 1 of the Board. This is a gun looking for an uneducated buyer. Don't be that guy!

Thanks for all your tips. I bought a West Hurley 3 months ago. 1975 model 1928a for $14k w/ 3 stick mags and 2 drums. It has G.I. internals and original owner said it shot fine and he owned it for 20 years. I'm still awaiting the transfer on that one. I'm already on PK's list to check it out and blueprint receiver, etc.

I'm into all subguns and have a lot of them but not a Thompson yet so excuse my naive questions. Thank you so much for all of your informative feedback!

Here are pics the Navy overstamp in question. Any thoughts?

post-260268-0-57441300-1449177456_thumb.jpeg

post-260268-0-66764700-1449177455_thumb.jpeg

post-260268-0-31564300-1449177454_thumb.jpeg

If those three photos are all you have to go on, I'd not spend $32k. In order to justify the price, you should have enough high quality photos to determine condition, parts originality and wear. It's nearly impossible to do this with three grainy photos. Maybe I missed all your points. So you heave the ability to inspect in person or are you relying on photos?

Ron