MP 40 Rewat

• 7 months later...

FOIA paperwork states, that this MP40 is one of 3 on a Form 2 approved in 1980. The manufacturer of record is JP Foote &

Co...

It was not a tube gun, but a WWII MP40 with all the correct markings. Unfortunately, it missed the Amnesty...

As explained in earlier threads, it was not uncommon for manufacturers to take this route...

Worth the wait for the information...

Nothing really to worry about as long as he put reactivation on the form 2 and the only place for "auto ordnance" is in the additional description box on that particular form. On subsequent transfers on other forms the mfr will be listed as AO, not him, though his info could be listed in the additional description or data section. The gun will always be C+R (course they all will be in a number of years) but will carry a slight decrease in value over other non dewat Thompsons since there are far less dewat Thompsons than other machineguns in the registry, so in this specific case, yes I would say the value is somewhat less, however I'm sure you also paid less? The value will depend on how large and ugly his info is, but I'm guessing it's probably not all that bad? You see PD marked guns for sale all the time with ugly scratched info on the stocks and receivers, but the values don't suffer that much and in some cases can add depending on the provenance of the markings? Thompsons make up a large share of the registry, hence buyers can be more selective about what they buy and pay. On rare guns things like this can be overlooked to a degree, since it might be this one or none for 5 more years until another becomes available. HTH

Sorry I missed your question on what I paid. Let's just say after a couple transfers and rewat I have $7500 invested. I am pretty sure I can get that back at least. Smiley face Smiley Face Smiley Face

FOIA paperwork states, that this MP40 is one of 3 on a Form 2 approved in 1980. The manufacturer of record is JP Foote &

Co...

It was not a tube gun, but a WWII MP40 with all the correct markings. Unfortunately, it missed the Amnesty...

As explained in earlier threads, it was not uncommon for manufacturers to take this route...

Worth the wait for the information...

Gotcha!!!! I think someone on here was just in the market for that same situation. And congrats!