For Sale-Original Thompson Spare Parts Kit/Tin

All,

Forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong location, as I'm new to this board and this is my first post. With Dave's permission, I have inherited and have for sale an original Thompson spare parts kit, complete with spare parts, pull through thong and brush. Friend and fellow member, Sandman1957, has examined it and everything is correct. Obviously, there's a lot of knowledgeable collectors on this site so please examine the photo's thoroughly for yourself. After researching the rarity of this kit and a few past sales of similar condition, I'm asking $5,000, obo. Pictures are attached. My contact information is below.

Thanks,

Jim Marsal

Greenville, NC

252-378-5184

marsal2424@hotmail.com

Auto-What?

post-262231-0-81578600-1599656386_thumb.jpg

post-262231-0-10754100-1599656400_thumb.jpg

post-262231-0-87702200-1599656409_thumb.jpg

post-262231-0-62873500-1599656420_thumb.jpg

post-262231-0-52479900-1599656430_thumb.jpg

post-262231-0-23494900-1599656440_thumb.jpg

post-262231-0-37368400-1599656456_thumb.jpg

post-262231-0-87695900-1599656466_thumb.jpg

post-262231-0-99168100-1599656476_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Nice acquisition, however, the internal parts (firing pin and extractor) are not original Colt era parts. The Savage "S" denotes them as WWII parts. Based on the wear to the original box, it is likely the internal parts are all WWII era used to replicate the original contents. The original box was probably used for some other purpose over the years.

I agree with Chuck. Also missing is the Chamber Brush. What appears to be a screw-on bore brush is not needed.

I would like to see close-up pictures of the inside and outside of the rivet and make sure that is gold flashing I believe I see on the outside of the case where the finish is not worn down all the way to the metal. There will be an update to the Spare Part Kit (SPK) story in my next book. However, the information in Amateur's Guide is an excellent starting point for evaluating these very expensive SPKs.

Congratulations to the buyer!

The main thing was a WH 1928AC. The usual 20, 30 round mags, a 50 round drum, spare parts, canvass magazine pouches, etc. My friend (Paul) that passed was an avid collector of TSMG items, buying what he could as he had the funds. Like most of us, he bought what he liked and the Thompson was his favorite.

I've been in the process of replacing parts and getting the WH 1928 gun back into fully functional condition. Yes, I'm aware of the WH functioning issues. In respect for my close friend's generous gift to me, I'm keeping it to be used to interest other shooters in the world of the SMG. This was Paul's request that I'm duty bound to honor. The sale of the above item is being used to finance the rebuild and acquisition of new old stock, US GI parts.

As for the contents of the box, I have photographed and described it as best I could, with the parts in it at the time. Those will convey with the box, to the buyer. It is as I have found it.

I'm thankful to Dave Albert for allowing me to post it here. I'm also appreciative for the guidance, honesty and most importantly the friendship of Sandman1957, for helping me with this project and sale.

SO does the person who bought it get a credit for the ww2 parts? since not all Colt and missing items. {i know all about these} i had five originals. Just a question anybody who spent 5 grand would ask.It started as a empty box and it got filled up as time went on.Since Auto Ord did not sell them in the 30's with WW2 parts that did not happen for ten years.

And glad you inherited some stuff that puts you on the Search train for all things Thompson.good luck in the future.

RON K.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
There was a 28 Navy that sold for around 90k a few years back, mine is better looking, I would would like to contact the guy who bid 85k. Stupid people are not generally the norm. But auctions and elections prove that there are extremely ignorant idiots out there.

October1971,

I would guess an original kit without the brushes and Colt parts would be valued somewhere between 4.5K to 5.5K if in excellent condition. It really depends on how motivated the buyer and seller are and if there is no doubt as to originality of the Spare Part Kit. That said, original kits have sold at a higher price during the last few years.

All will be able soon to sell. As collectors age.The circle of collecting i guess. And yes the value is what someone is willing to pay as long as there are those who want and have that cash... to acquire a item. And in years to come more stuff but fewer takers.

It became a less History deal When prices started climbing And blood was in the water. Now it is all about the Dead presidents. and Benjamin..

We should be glad we still have some left that enjoy it. RON K.

post-504-0-55550300-1606942611_thumb.jpg