#261 Robert Henley

Robert Henley

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 818 posts
  • Interests:NRA Life Benefactor
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida

Posted 05 October 2018 - 07:49 AM

Ouch, that's a long time just to get an out-of-state (non-C&R) gun to my dealer.

Thanks for the information,

Robert

#262 John in IN

John in IN

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:37 PM

Form 4, Individual, Guide Lamp M3 Grease Gun

Check cashed: 1/30/2018

Approved:  9/28/2018   Right at 8 months.  On one of my status check phone calls they said the FBI background check took quite a while.

F4 received by dealer:  10/16/2018

In my hands: 10/17/2018 :)

It's been a LONG ordeal overall but now it's mine!!

John

#263 Speeddemon02

Speeddemon02

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:Guns, Trucks, Games, and Woodworking

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:08 PM

I to am waiting on the FBI.  What I do not get is a couple have stated that with the new efile for form 1 they were completed from start to finish in only a couple weeks.  Their entire process is shorter than this one step for form 4.

#264 giantpune

giantpune

• Regular Group
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 09:26 PM

I to am waiting on the FBI.  What I do not get is a couple have stated that with the new efile for form 1 they were completed from start to finish in only a couple weeks.  Their entire process is shorter than this one step for form 4.

From what I understand, it comes down to the FBI background check.  I have seen about 20 people getting back stamps in under 2 weeks they efiled in October.  One guy even had one confirmed in 10 minutes as the ATF already had his print cards on file so he didn't need to mail them.  We calculated about 1000 forms getting filed per day based on the control numbers.  So while some people are getting back really fast stamps, I believe the majority of people are not.

The ATF is pretty quick running these, but they ask the fbi to do the BG check.  Sometimes it comes back immediately with "proceed".  In that case, they proceed and you get your stamp back very fast.  Otherwise, you get stuck in the same background check limbo as everybody who paper filed.

Edited by giantpune, 03 November 2018 - 09:29 PM.

#265 huggytree

huggytree

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2404 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, Guns, Work

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:22 PM

anyone transfer from an individual to a dealer lately?

still 3-4 months????

#266 WJP

WJP

• Regular Group
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:25 PM

anyone transfer from an individual to a dealer lately?

still 3-4 months????

Mailed Sept 21st, payment cleared Oct 1st, approved Nov 18th. Out of state individual form 4 to dealer.

#267 huggytree

huggytree

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2404 posts
  • Interests:Fast cars, Guns, Work

Posted 23 November 2018 - 10:52 AM

i just started one and the other is coming up on 3 months....so looks like im a month behind then and it should be coming soon

good news to hear its 2-3 months vs 3-4 months...

#268 WJP

WJP

• Regular Group
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 09:18 PM

Yeah, I don't know the hold up. I called on the 13th and they said they weren't even assigned to an examiner. Called the 21st to ask a question and figured I'd check the status again and they were approved. Just turned another form 4 individual to form 4 dealer on the 14th so we'll see how it goes.

#269 Speeddemon02

Speeddemon02

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 292 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 08:08 PM

It does not take long for a determination once it gets to an examiner, that is the hard part.  With the eform 1 back online and taking no time at all, it gives me hope that they are actually working on the eform 4 portion.

#270 WJP

WJP

• Regular Group
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 09:37 PM

I realize it doesn't take long once it gets to an examiner. I'd like to know the hold up getting to an examiner. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to assign it to someone when they pull the check out. Most of mine have went to the same person anyways.

#271 Speeddemon02

Speeddemon02

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 292 posts

Posted 25 November 2018 - 01:01 PM

In a perfect world.  The check is cashed by someone else then sent to the NFA branch where it is processed and placed in a box along with hundreds of thousands of others where it sits.  The system as a whole works for the most part in the grand scheme, but horribly inefficient and with recent changes has only made it worse, but hopefully one day it will get better.