Loose bolt handle......

Greetings all, I have owned a West Hurley mfgd. 1927A5 pistol with alloy upper receiver for quite some time. The bolt handle has always been loose, wobbly even. I have disassembled it, removed bolt and handle but see no way to make the handle tighter on the bolt. Is something missing? My father carried a M1A1 in WWII and he did not recall any looseness on the side mounted handle. The handle moves so much that it has worn thru the anodizing on the surface and is now showing bare alloy. Any ideas???

Edited by stu

The charging handle on the 1927A’s are entirely different from the actuator knob on a 1928. The 1927 is a separate piece that fits into the hole in the bolt that the firing pin slides through. It has to be separate to fit over the firing pin which is held in the bolt by retaining pins. The 1928 that your father carried has an actuator (with attached knob).which fits over the bolt. The 1928 fires from an open bolt and the 1927 fires from a closed bolt. Two entirely different systems. That is why our 1927s are loose and the 1928s are not. When a 1927 is disassembled, the knob is pulled up through the hole in the receiver. In a 1928, the actuator with knob is removed from the inside of the receiver. Your charging handle (knob) has to be somewhat loose to slide in. My bluing on my steel receiver is worn also.

i have an aluminum 1927ta5 also and my bolt handle is slightly jiggly but it has NOT started to wear the paint/finish on the top of the receiver. Remember the aluminum models aren't blued so any wear shows as scraped paint or whatever the fairly thick coating is on the aluminum.

my problem with the TA5 is that the brass cartridges are scraping the paint/finish on the feed ramp inside the magazine well AND then scraping some of the aluminum away. I have put about 600 rounds through it and can tell that the problem will eventually cause big issues if the ramp gets deformed from the scraping.