Lewis Gun Shoots Low

According to a drawing I have, the front sight should be marked with an H, N, or L for high, normal, or low. Mine has an L. Of course finding a Lewis sight might be difficult. There is a chance that they are compatible with the Lee Enfield sight, these come in different heights. I think I have some, let me do digging & try to find them.

I haven't removed my front sight from the clamp band, so some of this is guesswork. There is a Stud, Clamp Ring (a small screw with a square head that goes in from the bottom) that may need to be loosened and maybe removed. Then you "should" be able to drift the sight out. If it was me, I'd soak the clamp band in penetrating oil for a couple of days before I tried removing the stud and/or sight.

Hey Matt, before you get drastic, can I ask a silly question? Is the Stud seated in the square recess of the Radiator Casing? If it's not, that could move the Clamp Ring (and front sight) up. Just a thought.

(Hope this video works!)

It took a moment to notice the EO-Tech rear sight!

That is certainly an upgrade to the 100 year old design!

That is exactly what I have been suggesting to the people who built the SGMT (Goryunov) kits since they do not come with sights.

Richard

Hey Matt, before you get drastic, can I ask a silly question? Is the Stud seated in the square recess of the Radiator Casing? If it's not, that could move the Clamp Ring (and front sight) up. Just a thought.

(Hope this video works!)

That is exactly what I have been suggesting to the people who built the SGMT (Goryunov) kits since they do not come with sights.

Richard

Richard,

Would you believe I did it with NO modifications to any original parts? If you remove the rear sight assembly from the top cover, you have a male dovetail. I machined an aluminum block to just slide on and mounted an AR-15 accessory rail on top. I have since acquired an NOS top cover so I can swap back and forth between the original sight and modern with ease. It totally changes the Lewis! I could also mount a starlight or thermal sight, but won't be able to change the pan without popping the sight off.

When the video starts, I am targeting and obliterating individual Hun's crossing No Man's Land (clay pigeons on the backstop at 125 yards). Note how close the bursts are together, she's coming on target that fast! Then I walked fire down a line of attacking Stormtroopers (2 liter water bottles), mowing them all down. Der Kaiser has filed a complaint with the Hague Convention!

Doug

(Hope this video works!)

Richard

Richard,

Would you believe I did it with NO modifications to any original parts? If you remove the rear sight assembly from the top cover, you have a male dovetail. I machined an aluminum block to just slide on and mounted an AR-15 accessory rail on top. I have since acquired an NOS top cover so I can swap back and forth between the original sight and modern with ease. It totally changes the Lewis! I could also mount a starlight or thermal sight, but won't be able to change the pan without popping the sight off.

When the video starts, I am targeting and obliterating individual Hun's crossing No Man's Land (clay pigeons on the backstop at 125 yards). Note how close the bursts are together, she's coming on target that fast! Then I walked fire down a line of attacking Stormtroopers (2 liter water bottles), mowing them all down. Der Kaiser has filed a complaint with the Hague Convention!

Doug

I had to go back and watch the video again.

Now I can see the engagement times that you describe.

I now wonder if the dovetail block on the original cover had been designed for some other sight or possibly an optic.

Knowing the British it was probably an indirect fire sight mechanism.

That is so neat that you were able to make this update with no mods to the gun.

Now I regret not ever buying a spare top cover for my Lewis!

A long time ago I ran across this image of a PPsH-41 that had received an EO-Tech update from some clever Soldier:

http://odkrywca.pl/forum_pics/picsforum27/ppsz.jpg

I am sure that sight helps with engagement times!

Richard