How common are Lend Lease guns in USA?

Spoke with a gentleman recently who had a Thompson with British proof marks. I thought that would be a rare gun but he mentioned they were fairly common at one time. Seemed to me like not many would have been brought back or re-imported? Wondering what you guys have seen here on the forum?

Yes while I don't know if they are "fairly common", but they aren't that uncommon. The reason is after they were no longer being used they did get "re" imported back to the US. Some as entire guns, some as dewats, others as parts kits. Some of these guns may have gone to Police Departments etc. . The amnesty registration of 1968 was a way some got into the registry and manufacturors could enter guns into the registry until March of 1986.

I have a BAR with British proof marks, that came back, went to a Prison, and later was sold to a dealer, a collector, and then me.

I know of two Brit marked Thompsons that friends of mine have.

Cheers

Steve

Spoke with a gentleman recently who had a Thompson with British proof marks. I thought that would be a rare gun but he mentioned they were fairly common at one time. Seemed to me like not many would have been brought back or re-imported? Wondering what you guys have seen here on the forum?

Pre 68' the vast bulk of American manufactured dewats sold were Lend Lease guns

DoD had gotten out of the domestic MG business decades before

Spoke with a gentleman recently who had a Thompson with British proof marks.

Colt/Savage/AOC "British Proofed" Yet sold Directly from AOC to U.S. Law Enforcement - Never left Continental USA.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22725&page=3&hl=%2Bbritish+%2Binspectors+%2Bsavage&do=findComment&comment=200885

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18586&hl=%2Bbritish+%2Binspectors+%2Bsavage&do=findComment&comment=158651

Long ago, Sam Cummings of InterArms had a warehouse in Manchester, England.
Every gun that was moved thru that warehouse would have received markings from a British commercial proof house.

Firearms used by the British Commonwealth forces and disposed of OUTSIDE the UK will not have these proofs as they were not required by the British War Department for "in service" weapons.

I have read that a LOT of Thompsons came back to the USA via InterArms (formerly located in Alexandria, VA.)

There are some interesting articles about Sam Cummings to be found out on the web.

Richard

Thanks all for your comments.

When I was recently reading in "American Thunder", Mr. Iannamico mentioned that after the passing of the Lend Lease Act in March 1941, Thompson's no longer received Brit inspectors marks as the guns were now supposed to be "on loan" and consequently were marked "U.S. Property". However, I"m a little unclear how many of these guns became British weapons and were marked with the British nitro proof when being taken out of British service. Guessing the US just never asked for them back???

I've ordered "Great Britain, the Tommy Gun Story". Thanks for that direction MNShooter.