Fitting a grip frame on a Thompson

Hi All,

Question: With appropriate support on the grip frame, can the "U" or dovetail on the grip frame be closed to reduce the slop between the receiver and grip frame?

Thinking out-loud here.

This is for setting up my shooter 22RF grip frames for my Thompsons. No original parts will be harmed in suggesting/making adjustments.

As it turns out, there is about 0.015" vertical movement between the receiver and grip frame on most of my WWII shooters. While this is AOK in 45 it may not be the best in 22RF. The desire is to reduce this vertical movement for optimal magazine/bolt/barrel placement in 22RF.

Yes. My so-called friends have suggested zip-tying the grip frame to the receiver. So helpful they are.

Any thoughts are appreciated from more experienced folks.

Thanks,

Grasshopper

Hi,

I have tried to shim between the receiver and grip frame. That can take the vertical movement out of the assembly. What I really wanted to do is pull the grip frame up to the receiver. I'd like to get the magazine higher w/o resorting to changing mag catches or modifying magazines.

On the other hand the gun ran w/o a misfeed/fire today for 100 rounds with the shims pushing the receiver and grip frame apart. I did increase the height of the bolt by 0.020" at the same time so that the bolt was guiding true. I know that isn't much shooting but it was 100% reliable. I'll try it in the match next week. Normally everything goes to pieces after the buzzer sounds! :)

Hmmm. Electrical tape. I'll have to try that.

Grasshopper

• 2 months later...