Buying Parts Before Gun, Problem?

I don't even own a Thompson yet and I am buying parts. Do I have issues??

I picked up a bunch of WWII era mags recently, and this showed up yesterday:

g10Qn37.jpgRZTajkI.jpg

It belonged to a gentleman's grandfather who recently passed. This was found in the garage.

I think I have settled on finding a nice, early, Savage gun, so this should complement the future gun nicely... :)

if your buying drums and end up with a m1a1 it wont help you....this is the only issue...ive done the same before......as long as you get a good price and can resell if its not for the model you end up with.....your excited...good!...just dont be impatient and jump at the first gun....you will often find a great gun costs the same or less than a pitted junk gun...no seller thinks he has junk, they all think they have a jewel

how much was the drum? curious if your over paying or finding bargains

on the mags look for elongated holes for the mag latch...ive gotten several in batches ive bought(mixed in)...these are either worn or for the semi auto version....i had mags fall out of my gun do to this as i didnt notice...you want a nice clean circle..any elongated hole and skip it

I won't end up with an M1A1 unless it is REALLY cheap. Since that is almost an impossibility these days, I should be fine. Plus, I am a bargain hunter and the drum was very reasonably priced, I think ($275).

The mags are only 20 rounders, but they appear to be in really nice condition. Half Seymour and half Bridgeport. I believe the seller is a member here.

I will pick up some 30 rounders when I find a good deal on nice ones... :)

Thanks for the advice/tips. I need all the help I can get!

Ay0SVTU.jpgDXkBkUS.jpg

Edited by Rimcrew

Great price on the drum

Ive grabbed a similar one in like new shape for $450. So I think you got a bargsin

Id focus on 30s. I never use 20s. Have a few, but dont use them

The tiawan 100 rd drum is good too. Not sure if they are available anymore ?

It ran good in mine.

If you send a actuator to PK he can make you a 1921 kit. He seems to do a once a year run of these. So you may want to contact him and send him a bolt to get in line

That’s a great drum! PK has all those 1921 conversion parts in stock right now if you want to shoot him a message. As I’ve seen it, some good deals don’t wait for your gun to come first so as long as you’re certain you know you want a 1928/M1 etc. then you’re good. Also you’ve probably seen on other threads guys talking about American Thunder and The Ultimate Thompson Book, these books are worth buying as they’ll help you make an educated decision about the parts, mags and guns as you run across them.

I've learned that even experienced submachine gun shooters should only be given a 20 round mag that is at most half full when it is their first time shooting a Thompson (and turning it into an anti-aircraft weapon). I've also come to only use 20 round mags when I'm the one who's paying for the ammo regardless of how well controlled the shooting may be. So I rarely have anything other than 20 round mags at hand for shooting, and an empty drum for photos.

As for buying parts before the gun, I'm of the opinion it somewhat depends on how obsessive about having an all period correct gun and accessories collection you are. Colt, transitional/pre-WWII, and WWII eras may be one way to categorize and time frame limit buying. Another consideration may be that some parts may need to be installed to ensure that they fit and function properly. Buying now may preclude any potential recourse should a part eventually be found to be inoperative or defective in some way.

Best of luck and enjoy whatever you buy.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

Thinking I have you all beat:

As a youth, I bought a Savage 28 bolt, and a 30 rd. magazine, from Numrich,

-just 'cause I wanted something from a Thompson -you know, like Sgt. Saunders carried.

It was 44 years later until I owned a Thompson!.

Edited by mnshooter

That’s a great drum! PK has all those 1921 conversion parts in stock right now if you want to shoot him a message. As I’ve seen it, some good deals don’t wait for your gun to come first so as long as you’re certain you know you want a 1928/M1 etc. then you’re good. Also you’ve probably seen on other threads guys talking about American Thunder and The Ultimate Thompson Book, these books are worth buying as they’ll help you make an educated decision about the parts, mags and guns as you run across them.

Applauding your enthusiasm,

I am very doubtful that PK has all the 21 conversion parts in stock -specifically the modified actuator.

AFAIK, PK only makes these on order, to 28 actuators that have been sent to him for that mod.

There is an unspecified/undetermined wait time for this, but sending an actuator to him gets you into the next batch.

I would be happy to be wrong about this, and hopefully PK will post if things are different.

Mnshooter, I bet you’re right about the actuator, I didn’t ask PK about that part since I wasn’t looking for one but the other parts are in stock as of 11 Feb when I shot him an email about it. It is a fun addition to one’s Thompson accessory collection.

-just 'cause I wanted something from a Thompson -you know, like Sgt. Saunders carried.

Are you able to find the 1928 bolt bought 44 years ago?

It was a mint bright S bolt. I gave it away at my first ever trip to the Creek. A very nice fellow named Lou Pacilla, who had one of the finest collections of WWII German class 3 -(for instance, seven MP44's, a dual-mag MP40, etc. You can see some of his guns in Frank Iannamico's books) got me onto the shooting range, within my first two hours at the creek! He was a member of "The Wild Bunch", still found on the far right of the firing line, I hope.

I even got to stay for the night shoot. First night on the line, with a 28 and drum. The fireworks started, and I was popping away until the drum emptied. I couldn't even hear the Thompson, standing between a 50 BMG and five MG-42s. When the drum was emptied, I pulled it from the gun, and turned (slowly, with the muzzle up) to hand it back. Instead, I was handed a second L drum, and motioned to turn around and keep shooting. It took days for the smile muscles on my face to return to normal. They didn't want anything, even for the ammo, so I gladly offered the bolt, which I had only brought as a trading item. As it happened, the Thompson owner wanted a spare bolt.

Hate to end like this, but sadly, Lou passed away several years ago from Brain cancer. His entire collection was parted out and sold.

Edited by mnshooter

It was a mint bright S bolt. I gave it away at my first ever trip to the Creek. A very nice fellow named Lou Pacilla, who had one of the finest collections of WWII German class 3 -(for instance, seven MP44's, a dual-mag MP40, etc. You can see some of his guns in Frank Iannamico's books) got me onto the shooting range, within my first two hours at the creek! He was a member of "The Wild Bunch", still found on the far right of the firing line, I hope.

I even got to stay for the night shoot. First night on the line, with a 28 and drum. The fireworks started, and I was popping away until the drum emptied. I couldn't even hear the Thompson, standing between a 50 BMG and five MG-42s. When the drum was emptied, I pulled it from the gun, and turned (slowly, with the muzzle up) to hand it back. Instead, I was handed a second L drum, and motioned to turn around and keep shooting. It took days for the smile muscles on my face to return to normal. They didn't want anything, even for the ammo, so I gladly offered the bolt, which I had only brought as a trading item. As it happened, the Thompson owner wanted a spare bolt.

Hate to end like this, but sadly, Lou passed away several years ago from Brain cancer. His entire collection was parted out and sold.

52 hours worth of road trips with you with the radio never being turned on and I am just now hearing the story from you? Thank you for sharing the story. Maybe it time for another road trip?

Edited by Bridgeport28A1

52 hours worth of road trips with you with the radio never being turned on and I am just now hearing the story from you? Thank you for sharing the story. Maybe it time for another road trip?

Your car had a radio?

Another trip would be great.