Photo, Thompson in Vietnam...I think...

No Grease Gun for this killer. Although available through US sources, best guess he lifted it off a previous opponent and found it very useful for close encounters. Great Photo.

Hi,

For close up. No stock I can see or front sight. Magazines under his left arm? I bet it went bang every time he pulled the trigger.

Nice picture,

Grasshopper

Very nice picture, I've noticed that in most of the pictures of Thompsons being used by U.S. Force's in Vietnam most of them don't have stocks on them, that is the first one I've seen that appears to have a vertical grip Edited by 1952HRA

From the web, Vietnam Era, don't know if any have been posted here before.

M1 no butt stock - failed grip hanger bar?

post-56709-0-91134600-1499972087_thumb.jpg

2 M1's each

post-56709-0-87932000-1499972325_thumb.jpg

M1 no forend - finned barrel?

post-56709-0-48743500-1499972553_thumb.jpg

M1 no butt stock?

post-56709-0-40946900-1499972741_thumb.jpg

M1 complete, plus a nice collection

post-56709-0-77046400-1499972877_thumb.jpg

M1? Any idea what CCN or MLT-2 stood for? File name indicates man is Frank Cuddy, a Marine Pilot with SOG-V

post-56709-0-56012700-1499973751_thumb.jpg

I believe that CCN stands for "command and control North" which reconed North Cambodia, CCC would be "command and control Central" and CCS is "command and control South", CCN used 60 recon teams, CCC and CCS used 30 recon teams each, I'm not sure what MLT-2 is yet if I find out I will post it

Edited by 1952HRA

There was a photo of taken during the Vietnam War of a soldier holding an M1 or M1A1 Thompson that had a rear grip attached to the grip mount. But, as is usual, I can't find it. :angry2:

There was a photo of taken during the Vietnam War of a soldier holding an M1 or M1A1 Thompson that had a rear grip attached to the grip mount. But, as is usual, I can't find it. :angry2:

Big Al,

You mean this one?

Vietnam 1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Seems like several of the M1/M1A have something securing the forend to the barrel. I know a clamp was issued for this purpose. Some look like more field expedient solutions.

I'm rather surprised that they don't carry more ammo. I don't step out to the range with less than 5x30 over the shoulder. On the other hand, the folks in the pictures know more about fighting than I'll ever understand.

Great photos,

Grasshopper

Edited by Grasshopper

• 4 weeks later...

Big Al,

You mean this one?

No, not that one. But that is a great photo! The man in the photo I'm thinking of was shirtless and the gun lacked a buttstock. The man was also right-handed.

Edited by Big Al

Good collection of pics. Nice to see Frank Cuddy's pic with the Thompson. He was a friend for many years, an MG collector and part of the MG community in northern New England. He lived just south of Manchester, NH. Had a lot of fun with him over the years and was sorry to lose him a few years back. Quite a character!

The man who was sheriff and signed off on my first (and only) machine gun Form 4 in 1986 was in Military Intelligence in Vietnam in the late 1960's. Many years later when he was State Attorney, we were chatting about machine guns. He told me he carried an M1A1 on one mission. Afterwards, he traded it in for a Swedish K. Funny coincidence, I ended up purchasing my last M1A1 from another Southern Democrat politician. I miss our United States.