Magazine Feed Lip Repair Tool

31 minutes ago, JWB said:

TIZ, If you have any Mag Lip tools, I would like one, or please put me on the list for when you have them again.  Thank You.

You are on the list for the next run of mag tools.

Tiz

I don't want to micturate into Tiz's rice crispies or anything, but I was very pleased with the feed lip tool that I got from Deerslayer.

It's basically two pieces of curved metal that are welded to a vice grips

I fixed a couple of majorly crushed up magazines with it and they came out like brand new.

So that is an option, FYI.

No worries Doug. There are several way to skin a cat as they say. Sorry i did not have any mag tools in inventory when you first contacted me. I have been able to do a small run since. I assume I can take your name off the back order list.

All the best brother.

Tiz

I did not know you were making them again.  You may take me off your back order list, thanks.

I'm curious what your gizmo looks like.  Is it a form that goes up inside the mag?

The deerslayer tool is a pair of pliers that has a jaw that is shaped identically to the normal feed lip contour, you position the tool appropriately and squeeze and the giant camming power of the vice grips does the rest.

Doug,

At the time you asked about one I had none, but as they say, due to popular demand, I made a few more. 

Anyway send me a PM with your email and I will send you some picture of the mag tool.

Best 

Tiz

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, Tiz asked me to post my experience with the magazine lip repair/realignment tool. So I ordered one and it arrive nicely wrapped in bubble wrap, with a full page of detailed instructions.

I have 10 OEM 30 rounders and six OEM 20 rounders that I use in my AO 1928 A1. 

I found the quality of the tool to be wonderful, talk about a strong unit. Solid steel with two "bullet" lip aligners at the top and an alignment port (threaded hole) that matches the magazine lock hole. 

The way it is supposed to work is that once the mag is disassembled, the tool is inserted and secured with the bolt which fits through the magazine lock hole. Once secured, a nylon or rubber mallet/hammer is used to reform the feed lips around the "bullets" at the top of the tool. 

Reaming out the magazine lock hole (there is some internal metal that has to be filed away in order for the bolt to slide through) was the most time consuming. I had to use a long round file, securing the magazine in a vice and carefully removing the internal metal until the bolt easily slipped in. 

The issue I ran into is interesting. Not a single magazine I owned, when the tool was inserted, aligned with the alignment hole.  Really? The tool had to be out of spec right? Wrong. The alignment tool is 100% perfect. It was the magazine lips that were out of spec. One would think that they would bend upward, but  in my case all of them were bent slightly inward, thus not allowing the tool to be aligned with the bolt.

So, holding each magazine upside down, I inserted the tool and used a big hammer to pound the stuffing out of it until the alignment hole came into perfect position. Then, I inserted the bolt/washer, flipped the magazine around and used the nylon/rubber hammer to make sure the feed lips were flat against the "bullets". Then I tested each magazine to make sure it would load into the gun. Perfect. 

The most common issue I saw was that the forward (front) part of the lips tended to be bent in slightly (probably from rough handling) and even a little bend puts the magazine out of spec. Would they work? Yes, but it was not in spec. Once I was finished (1.5 hours for all the mags) they all looked perfect.

My hat is off to Tiz for taking the time to design this tool. 

If you are having issues with the alignment hole matching the magazine lock hole, its the magazine, not the tool. Get a bigger hammer!

Thanks Tiz!

31 minutes ago, Rekraps said:

Hey everyone, Tiz asked me to post my experience with the magazine lip repair/realignment tool. So I ordered one and it arrive nicely wrapped in bubble wrap, with a full page of detailed instructions.

I have 10 OEM 30 rounders and six OEM 20 rounders that I use in my AO 1928 A1. 

I found the quality of the tool to be wonderful, talk about a strong unit. Solid steel with two "bullet" lip aligners at the top and an alignment port (threaded hole) that matches the magazine lock hole. 

The way it is supposed to work is that once the mag is disassembled, the tool is inserted and secured with the bolt which fits through the magazine lock hole. Once secured, a nylon or rubber mallet/hammer is used to reform the feed lips around the "bullets" at the top of the tool. 

Reaming out the magazine lock hole (there is some internal metal that has to be filed away in order for the bolt to slide through) was the most time consuming. I had to use a long round file, securing the magazine in a vice and carefully removing the internal metal until the bolt easily slipped in. 

The issue I ran into is interesting. Not a single magazine I owned, when the tool was inserted, aligned with the alignment hole.  Really? The tool had to be out of spec right? Wrong. The alignment tool is 100% perfect. It was the magazine lips that were out of spec. One would think that they would bend upward, but  in my case all of them were bent slightly inward, thus not allowing the tool to be aligned with the bolt.

So, holding each magazine upside down, I inserted the tool and used a big hammer to pound the stuffing out of it until the alignment hole came into perfect position. Then, I inserted the bolt/washer, flipped the magazine around and used the nylon/rubber hammer to make sure the feed lips were flat against the "bullets". Then I tested each magazine to make sure it would load into the gun. Perfect. 

The most common issue I saw was that the forward (front) part of the lips tended to be bent in slightly (probably from rough handling) and even a little bend puts the magazine out of spec. Would they work? Yes, but it was not in spec. Once I was finished (1.5 hours for all the mags) they all looked perfect.

My hat is off to Tiz for taking the time to design this tool. 

If you are having issues with the alignment hole matching the magazine lock hole, its the magazine, not the tool. Get a bigger hammer!

Thanks Tiz!

Recaps,

Thanks for posting your experience.

Tiz