Squib with factory ammo

DGinGA

I was firing Wolf 9mm ammo through my S & W 76 when the firing stopped. Looking in the chamber, the base of a bullet was visible in the barrel. Unburned powder was sprinkled in the receiver. This is my second squib in a full auto; the last one, with reloads in my Reising, ended my use or reloads in FAs. After posting about a function problem using Wolf, many members read me the riot act for using steelcase in a 76. So it could be said Id been warned - but I never expected a squib. This seemed impossible with any modern commercial factory ammo, including Russian.

Has anyone else experienced this with contemporary factory (not surplus or remanufactured) ammunition?

Never trust foreign ammo.

I have had one or two squib rounds (Wolf)

One 7.62x39 Wolf that didn't fire (good primer hit)

One with a primer in backwards (Barnaul)

I have posted this before but here again just as a Caveat;

Worst of all Wolf 7.62x39mm that was marked non-corrosive, but was corrosive. After I contacted them they sent me all new replacement ammo 8k total (minus the two boxes I fired "cheap bastards") after I returned the corrosive stuff. They didn't dispute the fact that the ammo was corrosive, I'm pretty sure they knew it was. Oddly the boxes read made in the Ukraine, not Russia and it had the old lacquered cases, that is what made me suspicious, as most Wolf now has the light gray "poly" finish.

I've had two factory squibs. The first was also my first shot with a 1911, kinda anticlimactic.

I use a digital scale and weigh all my carry rounds. Any rounds outside the top of the bell curve get tested.

If this works, I've attached a photo of a factory Federal .357 round with a hole in the case. Inspect your rounds!

post-206-0-72349600-1573492804_thumb.jpg

I has a squib in my Reising with the damned Maxxtech garbage. This was before we figured out exactly how bad and how dangerous it really was. There was NO unburned powder left behind so apparently they missed that step in the loading process. There was a Glock 21 that nearly got blown apart with the same ammo a few months later so maybe he got the powder I was missing.

I trust my handloads in practice but I shoot mostly Blazer Brass in matches. I shot a bit of Remington but that stuff is incredibly dirty, I won't be buying any more unless it's (appropriately) dirt cheap. The only non-US ammo I'll put through my guns is S&B.

I had it happen with a Winchester brand 44-40 out of a brand new box ... Same description ... Bullet lodged in the barrel, unfired grains of powder all over the breech. Today I had a new one ... A Winchester white box 44 Magnum with a malformed case that had a rim 3 times the length of a normal rim ... The round would not seat in the chamber of the Winchester 92 I was shooting and the extractor could not grab the rim. I will never be comfortable with having to extract a live round from a chamber with anything other than the extractor.

I sold all of my bulk packed Remington .45 ammunition and replaced it with S&B. With the Remington, my Thompsons did not "sound right". It was like the rhythm was uneven. I ditched the Remington. The S&B seems to always provide an even cadence when fired. I also sold 11,000 rounds of Remington bulk packed 115 gr 9mm and replaced it with S&B 124 gr 9mm in the hope that it would provide a bit more recoil and reduce the chance of a gun "running away" because the bolt wouldn't catch the sear. They seem happier.

Dan

Edited by DZelenka

I have shot Remington out of my Thompson & Grease gun without incident. I would NEVER fire off any Tula nor Wolf from them! I have had Armscor & Magtech jam in two of my handguns so never use either in the MGs. My experience with Geco in my handguns is they have hard primers and FTFire frequently. An open-bolt SMG would probably fire off hard-primered GECOs but I choose not to purchase.

This just happened to me while firing an MG81Z using vintage 1940 German manufactured 8 mm steel-cased Mauser ammo. Pulled the right bolt handle back after the right-sided gun stopped firing and out came a casing from the chamber with a lot of unburnt gun powder that peppered the area. Immediately thought squib and possible bullet still in the barrel which indeed was the case. Imagine blowing up a MG81Z barrel. Yeah...try to find a spare one of those! And I've had several squibs with quality new factory ammo.