Read a article this Thompson 3363 was used by Dillinger and is on display at the Racine PD, it goes on to say the gun was recovered in Tucson AZ and a guard asked Dillinger to sign the stock, is this stock on the Thompson on display?

signiture JD.gif

signature 1 jd.gif

Edited by laurencen

Used to be-

( I think forum member Mike Hammer saw it a year ago or so - there was some talk on one of the postings here )

BTW, these pictures were taken by one of the hostages, Ursula Patkze . I got to know her a bit.

001 (6).jpg

Edited by OCM

Hello,

Here is the display at the Racine Police Department as of about three years ago.

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp227/Colt1928/Dillinger%20Gun-3_1.jpghttp://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp227/Colt1928/Dillinger%20Gun-1_1.jpghttp://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp227/Colt1928/Dillinger%20Gun-2.jpg

Comments: ( briefly)

1)Dillinger did get friendly with his captures , but was only there a couple days after the arrest

2)The Racine Thompson was in the possession of gang member Charles Makley at the Tucson arrest, it had no butt stock with it as when it was taken by him at the Racine robbery & shown in the Tucson arrest photos. Cops ( Racine) showed up with it without the butt stock, at the bank robbery. that's true.

3) So, did they bring another Thompson butt stock with them to Tucson and have him sign- I don't know ?? ( not )

4) The sig looks correct, but it's wood engraved in the butt stock at a later date ? Or did Dillinger have a wood engraving tool in the Tucson cell-?

5) The guts now are Savage- Why ?

6) Young Racine officer has told my pals, it was recovered from Texas. ( NOT his fault )

And the answer is: # 7

7) It really doesn't matter much anymore

Edited by OCM

Thanks Guest 66, nice-

Ursula had the shoe laces that she was tied up with, by gang member Harry Pierpont, after they were dropped off outside of town . She indicated to me she wanted to donate them to the Racine PD. I hope they didn't get tossed cause they couldn't use them.. ?? ( or care )

She had them in a scrapbook, sent me a picture of them.

I asked her the stupid, normal , dumb question, what was it like in the 33 Buick, driving for 45 miles with Dillinger after a bank robbery-

" I was scared to death "

shoestring.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a photo of my pal, holding the Racine Thompson- He's a retired deputy, so probably got an " In " to hold it.

That's the display case it's in behind him.

Side Note : Butch ( retired ) was the jail inspector for the State of Indiana- I guess he helped getting the cells working or something for the new Dillinger Museum going in Crown Point, Indiana. They worked like the Alcatraz cells, one lever or such opens all the cells.

( I'm close on this anyway )

OCM

Racine_Thompson.jpg

Edited by OCM

Joe-

If you ever get the chance can you check the guts, see if it's Colt inside- I've been told the inside has been swapped out with Savage parts.

Thanks-

Here's the link to the thread I started on this gun several years ago.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13135&hl=3363

Mike Hammer

Good job Mike- Thanks for the link - Interesting reading back than. I recall the conversation with Jerry, but on a different forum.

Joe, if you get the opportunity, I'd still open it up if you can, just for fun if anything else and snap a few shots-

As I've heard, Racine has another Thompson, nothing to do with Dillinger, just in the department vault.

OCM

• 2 weeks later...

Additon to OCM's side note above: A couple years ago I got a personal tour of the Crown Poinit Jail by the curator/president of the foundation restoring the jail. Unfortuantely, I don't recall his name. The department I retired from arrested and held Dillinger prior transfering him to Lima, Ohio. The jail cells we had (called ranges) were nearly identical to the ones at Crown Point. I gave detailed instructions on how they worked as the curator had no idea how to work them. As I recall, he was not a Dillinger fan but knew the history of his time at Crown Point and the filming of Public Enemies inside the jail.

Probably my pal, Deputy Butch Smith. He was the Indiana jail inspector at some time. Big Dillinger historian too.

Edited by OCM