Wh 12-13k Ouch!

Guys--

I've been watching the ads closely for a Savage M1 and noticed that the WHs prices are creeping dangerously close to what I thought the original G.I. guns should be worth. Is this a trend or do you think this price on the WHs have set in? If that's the case, I shudder to think what the originals' market value will bring. Incidentally, I noticed the ads stress CR and Auto Ordnance, but usually don't have WH in their title. Pardon me for venting a little.

What you ask and what you get are two different things. Someone told me last week they bought a nice WH w/ extras for only $6 or $6.5k, w/hard case, 2 drums, bunch of mags, and other parts. Now that's the way it should be.

Just saw a ad on one of the boards for a WH WWII Commerative in great shape. It's only $16K! WTF are these people thinking!? It has no history, it has no real value except it has gold writing on the side and pictures etched in it. Just WTF are they thinking?

Full Auto--

That's exactly what I'm saying! I hope no one is buying this stuff, because the price inflation is messing with my plans to buy another Savage. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

Unfortunately boys the prices will keep rising. The supply if fixed, the demand continues to grow. More people are becoming aware you can own a F/A and where to find them for sale on the internet. The old adage "You didn't pay too much for your full auto, just too soon" is true.

IMHO, hawksnest is right on the money (no pun intended.) Simple Econ 101...supply and demand. There are a limited number of transferrables out there and more and more people are wanted to get one...demand exceeds supply, resulting in higher prices. Let's face it, we all probably paid too much for our MGs. I felt raped when I paid $550 for my M11 and $4000 for my TSMG six years ago. ("$550 for a $125 gun??? $4000 for a $750 gun???") Yup, but OTOH, I'm no longer fussing that I can probably double my money on both. Unless 922(o) or civilian MG ownership is repealed, the day will likely come when folks will be happy to pay $15k for WH TSMG.

My .02

Bill,...that`s as long as there are competent smiths like PK,Hardrede,Andrewski to make them work like the originals

QUOTE (hawksnest @ May 10 2004, 07:49 AM)
Unfortunately boys the prices will keep rising. The supply if fixed, the demand continues to grow. More people are becoming aware you can own a F/A and where to find them for sale on the internet. The old adage "You didn't pay too much for your full auto, just too soon" is true.

Hawksnest is right on target here.

I'm one of the newcomers to the full auto game or should I say one the "idiots" paying way to much for a gun. Well it's like this boys, I'm going to be 50 years old this year and judging by my family genes got about 20 yrs. left. I don't want to wait 6 months to a year for "a deal" to MAYBE come along. I'm not rich but I'm financially secure and don't much care if I end up making or losing money on this gun.

Hells bells guys this gun cost half what my wifes new car cost last year. Which one do you think will be worth more in ten years?

We all wish we could still buy Tommy for a few thousand bucks, but I got news for ya'll.

Ladies and Gentlemen,............"ELVIS HAS LEFT THE BUILDING." (and he ain't comin' back)

Lancer

HERE HERE LANCER!!! Well said... Coming from a fellow idiot I commend you... Maybe we should start a freaking full auto newbie support group... I'm also tired of people who already have their toys and have the luxury of waiting for the "next" good deal to come to them, telling those who are new to the "group" how they are screwing up the pricing. I don't see anybody here "selling" guns for the price "they" say we "should" be paying.

Guys--

Great advice. I've been holding off for my second Thompson, thinking those recent inflated prices would go down a bit. I think I'll bite the bullet and get one soon, cause I won't be able to afford one, if I wait until I can afford one. Well, you know what I mean.

I've already reached the conclusion that nothing is going to get any cheaper. Hell, I'm about to get laid off, and I'm still thinking of getting a Thompson. Good investment, if nothing else. Bite down hard, Sgt!

The population of Thompson enthusiasts grows each day. These people dilute the pool of "educated" Thompson collectors. To them a WH is a Thompson. When I first entered the market, my first Thompson almost was going to be a WH, but I had a great mentor who kept me on the right path. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif (this is not supposed to turn into a "My WH runs great." thread) http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif

Food for thought (and sort of related to something said earlier in this thread).

I recently started a little "study" with some of my firearms-ignorant friends as the unwitting subjects. When watching some blast-em and blow-em-up type of movie and a modern subgun is shown, I will ask them, "what kind of 'machine gun' is that?" I'm talking about MAC's, MP-5's, that sort of thing. Invariably the answer is, "I don't know," or simply an answer that is waaaaayyy off base. However, when I ask that question while watching a war/gangster type of movie with Thompsons, most of them respond correctly, i.e. "A Tommy gun!"

This notoriety, my friends, is not going to help hold the line on TSMG prices as regular folk learn that not only can one legally own a SMG, but also learn where to buy one via the internet.

Here are three gaudy West Hurleys.

Yours for $16,000.00/each (must buy all three):

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.c...query=retrieval

No offense if the poster frequents here, but 1) those guns are ugly and not as collectable as you might think and 2) you are asking way over market value for said ugly and not as collectable guns.

Good luck getting your price.

Speaking of, anyone know what happened to that guy who claimed he was going to get 6K for a 1927 Semi Westy with "accessories" (a repro drum and some iron on patches, IIRC)?!? I think someone (Mike?) emailed him and he seemed confident he would find a sucker.. er... sale for it. It was a few months ago, but damn, the Thompson greed is funny sometimes.

C.

Edited by DC Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Rust--

I saw that one too. It will be interesting to see how fast it goes. By the way, did anyone ever buy those other high priced Westies? I wonder if I should list my savage for 20K. I'm laughing about it now, but the day will come...... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

QUOTE (Sgt @ May 20 2004, 08:53 PM)
Rust--
I'm laughing about it now, but the day will come...... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

Yes, probably sooner than we all expected.

I don't know...I was just at the class III dealer where I bought my WH and he told me that I was lucky to get mine in the 10K range. He say's he can sell them for $13K - $15K easily, and that next year the price will increase even higher. (This is when he can get them)

BTW...he just sold a 1921 Colt for $22K!

Steve

The three for 48k are still there. I noted that one was sold pending funds for 10k, but they may have haggled downward. Still one for 12k too; been there a while.

A WH in the 13-15k range! Holy F'n crap Batman! I saw a WH 1928 on Stumyger for 13k tonite! The greed has taken hold hard on people. Funny how money f_cks with people ain't it? I know all I need is U.

I am going to knock another grand off of a deal I have with a guy on mine, if I get the other deal I'm working on here in Indy. If he helps me on getting it. I won't mention a name, but I'll call him about shooting it on Memorial Saturday.

Over Priced West Hurley

I haven't been looking for Thompsons as long as some of you guys, but it sure seems these prices have shot up faster in the past months than I have ever remembered. Seems like I recall a study by one of you, comparing typical investment returns with the rise of Thompson prices. You indicated that they have remained about the same. I wonder if this study still holds true or do we see a trend that Thompsons will exceed your typical investments.

The upside to most of us here is that we already owne some form of Thompson...and therefore benefit monitarily,albeit at sale time.It`s true I would acquire more if prices were lower,but we all would be cryin`if the value of NFA dropped dramatically for some reason.These high prices are supported by something...or a combination of things...maybe we should set aside a day and not buy any guns..wait...what am I saying...where`s my meds... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Actually, two! Did you see the episode where Saunders was surrounded, out of ammo, so he grabs his thompson by the barrel and swings it like a bat, smashing it in pieces. Right off hand, I'm not sure he did that, maybe didn't want the Germans to get it.