Hoping to find some experienced input here-

My Barrett M95 isn't quite as accurate as I had hoped. It will put a few into a tight group then fire a few wildy (3-5 MOA) shots. I've tried American Eagle M33 and Hornady AMAX factory loads. Surprisingly the AMAX hasn't been noticeably better than the cheap M33.

Anyone own one of these guns and spend time fine tuning handloads or find a factory option that works good? Or is my experience typical?

shoots2soon,

My brother Andy and I have a Model 95. I've never been really impressed with its accuracy, but to be fair, I've not given it the opportunity it deserves. I'd like to try it with really good ammo. Most of our shooting with it has been solely for the fun of shooting a .50...

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 2 weeks later...

The gun, at least mine, is 1.25 MOA under the BEST of conditions and 1.75 is more realistic as a goal if you are talking 1000 yard (competition?). I think the best 5 shot group I ever had was 11.25" The gun could shoot 15 - 18" groups with some degree of consistency. I'm talking AMAX as I never could get solids to work. Also, check your throat. I ended up seating out to 5.75" COAL. If you want to shoot magazine length be happy with a 2 - 2.5 MOA gun.

Because of the way the upper attaches to lower (pins and lugs) try setting up on a longer range target and dry fire the gun and watch the movement of the scope reticle. My gun consistently drops the cross hair from the x ring to the bottom of the 8 ring. That's 12" at 1000. Whether it is that extreme with a loaded round under lock up I have no idea but it shows the gun is inherently "loose" by design. That gun was made for a specific purpose and the ease of take down is a detriment to accuracy.

You should definitely be able to get it to shoot below 2 MOA if you work a little with AMAX and H50BMG. I had mine out past a mile this fall and managed to hit 22" steel frequently enough to have fun.

V/R

Ed

shoots2soon:

If you are starting to get more serious about shooting your .50, consider joining the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association (FCSA) - http://www.1moa.org/

They have a "Members Only" forum ...but you don't have to be a member to post on it (who knows why). You just need to register at http://members.fcsa.org/ Regrettably it is now "down" - very atypical. Good place to post your questions. There are some active members on that forum that shoot the M95.

I echo ELR Researcher on the FCSA. There are a few guys that have gotten better results than I listed. I'm assuming you are shooting prone with a bipod. The gun is not the easiest to "control" at only 22 lbs. Nature point of aim and follow through are critical for any semblance of consistency.

Have any of you been able to access the Members Forum on FCSA? I have sent a couple emails to the webmaster but received no replies. Karen (Secretary) did reply and indicated she relayed my error message (404) to Brett the webmaster. I've also volunteered to help as a Moderator and also offered my and my wife's assistance with the forum, but zero replies so far, going on a week. My wife is a DBA by profession and has a Masters in Computer Engineering and Programming.

shoots2soon:

If you are starting to get more serious about shooting your .50, consider joining the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association (FCSA) - http://www.1moa.org/

They have a "Members Only" forum ...but you don't have to be a member to post on it (who knows why). You just need to register at http://members.fcsa.org/ Regrettably it is now "down" - very atypical. Good place to post your questions. There are some active members on that forum that shoot the M95.

BD, same here but when I sent an email to the webmaster based on the 404 error code messsage I got a bounce back from the email server saying not a vaild address email address. They must have had a major server melt down. You could ask Oldman to talk to the frog and see what is going on. It sure would be nice to know one way or another.

V/R

Ed

Edited by M95M

Ed, I spoke to Oldman and he has spoken to Brett the Webmaster. It appears the problem is with the hosting company and monetary issues as well as some software issues as well. I'm hoping Brett will call me (I've sent him my info through Karen. I believe it would not take a ton of effort to use readily available bulletin board software and add a few tweaks, and a new hosting company, and we could get the forum up and running rather quickly. My only concern, would be whether we could recover all the old posting and information. Losing that, would be quite bad, in my honest opinion. I'll offer to help moderate the forum if that is what it takes. I had a couple of my own forums that were aviation, and fishing/hunting related years ago and passed them on to good friends as I moved around the country following my job.

I hope you and everyone else has a Wonderful Thanksgiving, Hopefully, the FCSA Member Forum can get rectified soon.

Best Wishes,

Jim

Ed, I spoke to Oldman and he has spoken to Brett the Webmaster. It appears the problem is with the hosting company and monetary issues as well as some software issues as well. I'm hoping Brett will call me (I've sent him my info through Karen. I believe it would not take a ton of effort to use readily available bulletin board software and add a few tweaks, and a new hosting company, and we could get the forum up and running rather quickly. My only concern, would be whether we could recover all the old posting and information. Losing that, would be quite bad, in my honest opinion. I'll offer to help moderate the forum if that is what it takes. I had a couple of my own forums that were aviation, and fishing/hunting related years ago and passed them on to good friends as I moved around the country following my job.

I hope you and everyone else has a Wonderful Thanksgiving, Hopefully, the FCSA Member Forum can get rectified soon.

Best Wishes,

Jim

Jim,

Feel free to direct others to this forum in the meantime. This forum at the Biggerhammer site pre-dates the FCSA forum, and for a while, it was the only .50 caiber forum on the internet. If things don't work out, I could even modify this one, or add an additional forum dedicated to FCSA.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com