Kahr At The Shot Show

I had a chance to speak with Mr. Moon at the shot show - he stated they will have the 50 rd drums if the ban expires - big suprise! The drums will list for the current price for the PD only or export drum.

The 27 on display had the front grip sanded to death - thin and poorly shaped. Still has the 3/4" front grip mount.

The M1 carbine had a light colored wood which had been stained with a dark walnut dull stain.

The top hand guard was metal.

Nothing has changed for the better....

You know, Walnut isn't really that expensive. Using stained wood is just inexcusable. Total contempt for the buying public

Considering the bizaar sequence of "Auto-Ord" ownership since 1944, it wouldn't be surprising if the next owner of the WH/Kahr product turns out to be L. Ron Hubbard's Scientologists. Maybe then they could get money from Cruise, Kidman and Travolta to make a working replica that actually resembled a Thompson .

I am living the Kahr Semi "nightmare".

Extractor broke first day I shot it after about 175 rds.

Replaced it.

Now I get the bolt sticking back with rds in the magazine.

Or the bolt won't go all the way forward to chamber the next round....

I even made the mistake of buying a 10 rd drum.....

I've spent the last two nights fluffing and buffing surfaces in the rifle and the bolt to insure that it's not burrs causing some issues.....PK, any suggestions?

But, all in all, I still love the damn thing and when I take it to the range, people always want to see it close up.....

My bride got it for me, so I'll never get rid of it.......

It's in my avatar...

Phil,

The moonies (or son of anyhow) do not own Gun Parts or Numrich as far as I know (I go to Gun Parts almost every day). They just own Kahr unless something big happend secretly and very recently. My 02.

Damon

QUOTE (Coz @ Feb 18 2004, 11:47 AM)
I am living the Kahr Semi "nightmare".

Extractor broke first day I shot it after about 175 rds.

Replaced it.

Now I get the bolt sticking back with rds in the magazine.

Or the bolt won't go all the way forward to chamber the next round....

I even made the mistake of buying a 10 rd drum.....

I've spent the last two nights fluffing and buffing surfaces in the rifle and the bolt to insure that it's not burrs causing some issues.....PK, any suggestions?

But, all in all, I still love the damn thing and when I take it to the range, people always want to see it close up.....

My bride got it for me, so I'll never get rid of it.......

It's in my avatar...

Please don't tell me that. I'm in the process of buying an M1 SBR. Well, actually, I don't care. $1300 is way cheaper than $13,000 and I can at least keep my wife this way. Looks like I'm gonna have to dust off the gunsmithing tools.

Coz, you are doing good.. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif ....but email Kahr, tell them the extractor broke, then in awhile, the firing pin tip broke off, then in awhile, the screws for the rear sight broke off, & do this a few times before the year is up....In that way, you will have some spare parts for when the parts do break. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif for once the year is up, you will be an orphan in Kahr's eyes, no mommy, no daddy..............You'll get it running fine, soon......jw

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (junglewalk @ Feb 18 2004, 09:20 PM)
Coz, you are doing good.. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif ....but email Kahr, tell them the extractor broke, then in awhile, the firing pin tip broke off, then in awhile, the screws for the rear sight broke off, & do this a few times before the year is up....In that way, you will have some spare parts for when the parts do break. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif for once the year is up, you will be an orphan in Kahr's eyes, no mommy, no daddy..............You'll get it running fine, soon......jw

Yeah, I guess I'm doing fine...

I haven't test fired it yet since the fluff and buff and it's been more than a year now....

So that's why I asked PK for suggestions.....

I found a place today to lease to open as my premise for my FFL..so, I plan to be the only Thompson guy in Houston, TX within a few months...so, be prepared to see he online...

I plan to apply for FFL and Class III, as my primary targets will be LEO's here in the fourth largest metro area in the U.S.

Any Thompson smith's in southeast TX, please email me!

Junglewalk.....Every time someone mentions a Kahr you come back with the same idea of claiming parts failures and requesting new ones from the factory. Am I missing something or isn't that dishonest? Perhaps your effort to convince others to do this helps you deal with your own convictions.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif Do you work for Kahr?......You can go back and read all the complaints that we Kahr owners have with the company. No response to emails, run around on the phone, no explaination as to the shoddie work-manship, and the deafening scilence you get when the one year,point of no return, happens, when a major part breaks. ....Most of us gun owners, have returned other guns, especially pistols to the manufacturers for repair, for unexplained breakage, and get the treatment you would expect, and charged a small fee or even no fee at all.

I don't recall ordering firing pins, extractors, recoil springs, etc for my Rugers, Smith & Wessons, or even my Taurus pistols as a routine; broken screws, broken grips, or springs that lost their pazaz having to be replaced to keep the guns firing!.......Why? Because they are made well, with honest good workmanship.. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif ........My Kahr 1927a1 was not made with an honest concern for quality. Why did they not then price the Kahr to reflect this low quality ?...That's not honest. I paid over $800. 2years ago for it, and when I found out quickly that it had many problems, I could have traded it off to some other sucker, or keep it and try and work with it... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif .............But after a year Kahr became quiet, and any new broken item, i now had to pay the full price for the item.

"My own convictions"?....I like a fool did not take my own advice, but only suggest to others to consider the future; that's all. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

This may be a little off the subject for this board, but as I always hear mostly negitive comments on Kahr Thompson products does anyone have anything to say about thier handguns? I am looking to buy a PM40 for a carry gun and have heard only good things about them. Would they be a seperate part of the Kahr company and have thier own set of quality standards?

Jimf5

I have a Kahr MK40 and my wife has the K9, both stainless Elite 98's. We have had no trouble with either one of them. I don't know about the polymer frame Kahrs.

I have thought the same thing though, how can they make a good pistol and a nightmare of a thompson? I have wondered if it was because they are using parts left over from Auto Ordinance, because my West Hurley 28 was also a pain in the butt to get to run correctly.

I think PhilOhio's analysis is fasinating, particularly since I was married to a native-Korean lady for 13 years. Thank god she never learned to cook before she immigrated, since Korean food is so horrible. Korean "cuisine" is the only ethnic cuisine I've encountered that I dislike. Fortunately for me, my Korean lady came to cook extremely well everything but Korean food, and she herself came to not care for Korean food very much either, though she never completely overcame her addiction to Kim Chee.

At any rate, I digress. While Phil's analysis may be completely correct concerning Kahr, how does one explain the exact same shoddy products and pisspoor attitude from AO West Hurley for decades before being purchased by Kahr? Is it a coincidence, or did Kahr recognize kindred souls at AOWH, and thereby reckon for a perfect merger? At any rate, I've always pitied the poor souls that make the modern Thompson products, since clearly no possibility for pride of worksmanship exists. I assume workers with pride leave as soon as they can for better employment, leaving a cadre of permanently dispirited workers.

I own a PM40 as one of my carry guns. My experience with Kahr went like this:

Gun didn't work at first (Slide kept locking back from the mag catch hitting the bullet head). Sent a couple of emails to Kahr CS, and they were very slow to reply. I decided to just call. Service from that point on was very professional. They sent me new spring set (overnight) and mag catch on the spot (no receipt, no warranty card), to see if it would fix the problem. It didn't fix it 100%, so I sent the gun in, and within a week had it back with a checklist of tests and fixes (new spring, polished this/that). It has been working perfectly ever since.

Had a FAR better experience with Kahr than Taurus, who took FOUR phone calls, a manager, and a lot of bitching just to get ONE lousy screw sent to me.

LOVE my Kahr pistol now. Carry it most of the time. But I just purchased a Korean War Commemorative 1928 WH, and want to remove the gold parts to give it more of a "real" look (plus I plan to shoot the hell out of it).. Next question becomes, do I buy ANY Thompson parts from Kahr....?

Phil,

And we thought those were mines you were burying in your backyard. Who would of figured they were pots full of coleslaw?

I would get nervous anytime a Korean looked longingly at my Shepherd considering their taste for K9's.

I guess one can't blame Numrich for making poor replicas of "Thompson's" since he never had the bonafide authority to do so from the owners of Auto-Ord anyway.

Junglewalk, For the record;

1. I am not employed by Kahr or anything else related to the firearms industry.

2. I am happy with mine and the service I have received from Kahr, they were friendly, helpful and promt with my concern.

3. Because you feel shortchanged in someway by the product cost/quality does not entitile you to go to the free parts buffet.

4. Warranties are just that, you get the same deal with any new purchase...new car,new house, etc...except beer..no warranty implied.

5. After warranty I buy the parts, Ford, Chevy, Yugo..Kahr. No heartburn about it.

6. Damn glad my Springfield Armory guns have a lifetime warranty! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

7. No flame intended, we are all on the same team....except maybe AF http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Arthur,

Please take this as a compliment: You are worth the price of admission. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Tom

this is the only gun board that i keep hearing that kahr is oned by the moonies cult,everyone on other gun boards says that its just bs.As far as kahr gun go i own a semi and i havent had a problem in over 3000 rds.yes,they could be made better,but so could alot of guns.I have a colt ar-15,1911a1,and a python. the ar-15 cost 1200.00 and is the biggest POS that ive ever owened.the 1911a1 is no better,If you think kahr messed up the thompson,I would hate to see what colt would do to it.ill bet it wouldnt even fire one round.

Since we've segued from dissing Kahr, of which I have not had any experience, to dissing Colt, I, on the other hand, can not say enough good things about the Colt guns I used to own (CAR-15, Targetsman - 60's) and currently own (SAA - 3rd Gen, Python - 70's, Targetsman - 70's, and 1911A1 - 2002 WWII continuation production). But, alas, no Colt made Thompson.

All have worked flawlessly and accurately. Fit and finish excellent. Actions far better than the Rugers and Smiths I've had. They have all cost more than I wanted to pay but I can not complain about what I got for the price (i.e., the value).

QUOTE I have a colt ar-15,1911a1,and a python. the ar-15 cost 1200.00 and is the biggest POS that ive ever owened.the 1911a1 is no better,If you think kahr messed up the thompson, I would hate to see what colt would do to it.ill bet it wouldnt even fire one round

Your gun buying choices are indeed odd. Considering your disdain for Colt products, you continued to purchase them even after you estimated they didn't function. It wasn't until you hooked up with a Kahr replica "Thompson" that you found total bliss and harmony. I can only gather from this that you are a Hari Krishna and the Rev. Moon's version of a "Thompson" was a calling you could not resist. But don't question your affinity for Kahr because you have been in denial about the company's financial relationship with your spiritual leader.