.45 ACP Bullet Weight

Anyone shooting anything other than 230 grain FMJ's in their Thompson, if so what's your experience with it?

Tiz,

Unless you reload you will be stuck with 230 gr ammo. Its the only weight you will find on sale.

I reload and have tried 185 and 200 gr plated bullets. The only reason I can think of for using the lighter bullets is those contests that require a mag dump on a single target. The lighter bullets produce less muzzle climb and therefore easier to hold on target.

Jim C

I have loaded 200 gr for the 45, and run them with no trouble in the Thompsons. I get less than satisfactory results with plated bullets in most calibers, and avoid them, although I have a ton in 40 and 9mm right now. Reloading allows you to tailor loads, and I am a little recoil sensitive now due to arthritis in the wrist. I am making light loads for a number of auto pistols. The Thompsons and Greasegun would eat the 200 Gr SWC loads too. for just shooting in the SMGs, 230 gr FMJ is the usual diet, but I have a batch of 230 Gr HPs that work as well too - run out of the drums so far.

Thanks all for your input and information. I am a reloader and do a lot of loads for 9mm for my UZI as well a 40 and 45 for autos pistols. I was curious as to how other than 230 grain's run in the Thompson. Thanks again to all.

I once tried some "Marine Match" loads (Usually published as: 185gr Nosler JHP, 4.1grs Vihtavuori N310, WLP, 1.20" OAL), in a 21 and 28, mainly to see what the bench accuracy might be. I was surprised to find they ran 100% in both guns, even out of drums.

Recoil was almost like Merle's .22LR kit.

While some seem to have achieved satisfaction with coated bullets,and I wish them well,

I've seen enough painted/coated bullets leave pieces of coating in comps and suppressors to keep me from using them, but I've yet to have a single issue with tens of thousands of plated bullets (from Xtreme, Frontier, and Rainier), in Thompsons and pistols. They have also left zero fouling or lead accumulation in the Cutts slots, while even a single drum of conventional FMJ (with exposed lead in the open bullet rear) caused noticeable leading.

I usually stay with the 230gr plated RN (actual weights are usually around 240-245grs), but have used a few thousand plated 200gr in Thompsons. For me, the 200 gr. needed slightly more powder -maybe 15%, for reliable function, but lower recoil.

I prefer to stay slightly under standard specs, and usually have no problem keeping function at 100% in well lubed Thompsons.

Edited by mnshooter

I once tried some "Marine Match" loads (Usually published as: 185gr Nosler JHP, 4.1grs Vihtavuori N310, WLP, 1.20" OAL), in a 21 and 28, mainly to see what the bench accuracy might be. I was surprised to find they ran 100% in both guns, even out of drums; recoiled almost like Merle's .22LR kit.

While some seem to have achieved satisfaction with coated bullets,and I wish them well,

I've seen enough painted/coated bullets leave pieces of coating in comps and suppressors to keep me from using them, but I've yet to have a single issue with tens of thousands of plated bullets (from Xtreme, Frontier, and Rainier), in Thompsons and pistols. They have also left zero fouling or lead accumulation in the Cutts slots, while even a single drum of conventional FMJ (with exposed lead in the open bullet rear) caused noticeable leading.

Good info. Thanks

I like the Berry 230gr plated bullets. They are.452 diameter, and leave no lead fouling.

Once again thank you for that information as well.