What is a fair price? Newbie here

Hello and thank you for your patience as this is all new to me. I could really use some expert help and figured this would be a good place to start. my dad has owned a thompson since new in '79 I believe and the serial number is in the 800a's, he now needs to sell it and i would love to buy it if i can. I need to know a fair price. I know he modified the gun to shoot the higher 900 rounds and some other things using earlier 1921 surplus parts. the gun has had less than 1000 rounds fired. my dad is detail oriented so it has been kept up to the highest standards and the work done was to the highest standards. I know i am unworthy but it was part of my life growing up and would like to keep it in the family if possible. please if you or anyone can help me with the value or a fair "range" it would very much be appreciated. I am guessing the modifications will make the "range" vary but assume they are done to high standards. It was done to make the gun a more functional shootalbe version from what I understand. thank you in advance......... his daughter.

Hello Mainstsoda and welcome to the boards.

Since this is a Thompson query you could have placed this in the Thompson forum. We can get you a good answer, however more information will be needed for the answer to be accurate. I am assuming this to be a 1928A1 Thompson produced by West Hurley and that this is registered and fully transferable. It should state West Hurley, Ny on the side. Is there actually an "A" after the serial number? Original Colt parts are very desireable and this would add to the value of the gun, if they were used. If the actuator and buffer assembly are modified from other parts, less valuable. What other modifications were performed can also impact the value. A West Hurley that was modified by by PK would bring a premium and most, if not all WHs, need repair and modifications to function flawlessly and prevent future damage as these guns varied in quality.

A "typical" WH seems to sell between $10k-$13k. Lately I have seen dealers asking as high as $20k-$25k, they will only sell at this price to uniformed buyers, who will later find out about their purchase. Best to do research first before spending money. Certainly you have found the BEST place to start for this subject.

Any additional information and/or photographs will greatly improve the estimates that we could provide.

- Ron

Thank you Ron. The gun is registered and fully transferable and does have an A after the serial number. I am sure it is a West Hurley but dont know about any other stampings or details of the other modifications. He said they didnt shoot well and would get jammed unless they were modified as I recall. Should I re run my request in the Thompson forum or is it OK here. I trust your estimate of values and thought it might be in that general range so maybe I dont need to put it out there any further since I have limited information at this time? If I get more details I will let you know. Thank you very much for your time.

This is likely the "high(er)" end of the range...

http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/html/us_subguns_14.html

Again thank you, i made the best offer i could but i think he has another... also asked for picts but haven't heard back... patiently waiting with fingers crossed!!!!

Your Dad is having you bid against the buying public for this?

Hope you can get some photos, as mentioned above. Many people here will then be able to offer advice.