Firing Pin Wont Release On M1 Semi

I went shooting this weekend with my Auto Ord. M1 semi auto. After about 75 rounds the gun failed to fire. I ejected the round and the primer was not hit at all. I removed the magazine and tried to dry fire it. There was no click that indicated that the trigger is not releasing the firing pin. The catch is, you can't take down the gun with the fireing pin spring compressed. I remember something like this happened a long time ago and I had to go in through the safty hole with a small screwdriver. I think the original problem was soft metal on either the bottom of the bolt or wear on the fireing pin. any sugestions?

Lots, Ive owned this M1 since 1984. I've done the usual fix ups, polish feed ramp, springs set, GI mag lever. I finally got the firing pin to release by taking out the safty lever and triping the sear block with a small screwdriver. The bottom of the firing pin wore down the top of the original sear block and when the pin went back on recoil I guess it wasn't reseting it. I ordered a sear block from Kahr but I'm worried it won't fit because my gun was made by Auto Ord. and I find some parts are not interchangable without a lot of fitting. I hope I don't have to replace the firing pin too. I am dissapointed but not supprised this part wore out. Its a good thing I love this gun so much because I've had to do a lot of work to it. Any other would have been sold long ago.

I think that's it. I had it drilled into me to keep the safty on until ready to fire. I re-read the manual yeasterday after many years and saw the notation about cocking the gun with the safty off. I wish they would have stressed it more in the manual. I just hope the firing pin doesn't need replacing. I got one from Kar a few years back and it needed a lot of fitting so I just cleaned up the burs on the old one and it worked. Maybe I can get away with it again if I replace the sear block.