Which MP40 Would You Choose and Why?

This is strictly a hypothetical question. If you had the choice between an early MP40 one coded 122 40 with an "a" suffix all factory original and matching that is just as it left the factory with the early cocking handle OR the exact same gun with a three digit serial number BUT has the modified cocking handle? Which would be cooler for you the really low serial number or the unmodified gun??? Just curious...

I see the appeal of both.

All things equal, I’d personally go for the modified cocking piece as it was a more common configuration. If I was going to have 1 MP40 to display, I would want the most typical look and the configuration fielded In the greatest numbers.

To huggytree’s point... if you want the rarer one, go with the hook.

Edited by P.W.Browning

The hook gun would be worth more money. Unmodified guns are typically worth more. Glock gen1s are worth more if you did not get the recall parts. If you were to buy the hook bolt by itself it would sell significantly higher than a common bolt

Keep in mind that the safety installation modified the gun's receiver as well as the bolt. You really wouldn't want to modify a receiver to accept a bolt with the safety.

If I was buying for collecting, unmodified as that would make a good talking point to highlight the original nature and lack of implementing the change. If I was buying another one for shooting, I'd probably still go with unmodified as a variant configuration plus I wouldn't have to worry about a loosening handle.

Edited by heavy artillery