1923 Prototype(?)

I've seen touched and fondled the 1923 that Tracie Hill has at his house. Very nice. i would love to have one of those. And yes I would shoot that damn old thing. the only gun I have that I don't shoot is my 1881 W.W. Greener 10 gauge double barrel shotgun.

In defense of Tracie Hill and to clarify previous posts, the gun that Tracie Hill has is a 1921 model that once belonged to Gen. John Thompson. It is supposed to have served as the prototype gun when the compensator was introduced. It does have the longer type barrel used on the 1923 Model and has a prototype compensator.

It is not a true 1923 Model as advertised in Auto-Ordnance literature, nor does Tracie Hill represent it to be a genuine 1923 Model. He represents it to be exactly what it is purported to be, an early model 1921 that was modified while Auto-Ordnance was developing the compensator and experimenting with different models to offer as sales samples.

The picture from China posted earlier actually looks like a legitimate 1923 model. I wonder where they would have gotten that?

Gi, I know of no genuine 1923 Thompsons in existence. However, that China gun may, or may not be an authentic '23 Model. We don't know. I responded against Tracie Hill, when a reference was made of that gun being a '23. It is not, as you have also confirmed. I was told though, that the gun were speaking of that Tracie owns, was put together by Bill Douglas. Whether that is true or not, I'm unaware. I did sell Tracie Hill the only known 1924 Catalog, which covered the '23 Model, and the Auto-Ordnance "Auto-Rifles". To my knowledge, that was the only Catalog that I have ever seen that covered the '23 Model in great detail.

Devlin,

I, like you, thought that the earlier post by Mike just needed some clarification regarding the 1923 Model claim. I have no idea who actually built the gun I just know that Tracie does not purport it to be a genuine 1923 Model. I wasn't trying to defend the veracity of the origin of the gun.

Arthur,

Good eyes on the lack of sling swivel on the butt stock. You're right the bipod doesn't look exactly like the one in the literature, but the barrel and fatter horizontal grip sure look like the ones in shown in the catalogue. What interests me is where the Chinese would come up with those parts even if they put one together from various guns. It seems rather odd that the Chinese would be so well versed in a rare prototype model of the Thompson submachine gun that they would make one up for display in their museum. I know they made copies of the Thompson, but to make a rare variation that didn't sell, that seems kind of strange?

On the other hand, I'm sure that these weren't issued to anyone during WWII or the Korean war, so where would they come up with something like that? Do you think it could have been an early sales sample that was sent to China way back when?

Whatever it is, I'd sure like to know the story behind it.