What is use of two leather patches on M3 cover?

Is it just me or does it seem foolish to encourage someone to carry an open bolt gun with a magazine in it like this case is doing? If you need to shoot it so fast that the time to get out a magazine and put it in the gun is too much then, I feel, you shouldn't have the gun in a case. The case should be for transportation. Worst case you include a slot or two for a magazine on the side of the case. It would also make the package much smaller.

Is it just me or does it seem foolish to encourage someone to carry an open bolt gun with a magazine in it like this case is doing? If you need to shoot it so fast that the time to get out a magazine and put it in the gun is too much then, I feel, you shouldn't have the gun in a case. The case should be for transportation. Worst case you include a slot or two for a magazine on the side of the case. It would also make the package much smaller.

The bolt does not have to be open while in the case. Protection from the elements is not a bad thing.

The bolt does not have to be open while in the case. Protection from the elements is not a bad thing.

I think he is referring to carrying a mag in an open bolt gun with the bolt closed on an empty chamber . Dropping it on it's butt could cause the bolt to go to the rear far enough to feed and fire a round but not far enough to be caught by the sear . These fit the gun really tight so I would think friction on the cocking handle would prevent this from being a problem . I'd even bet your life on it :rolleyes:

Chris

Seems that relying on the canvas cover to fit tight enough to keep the port 'door' cover closed well enough for the door tab to keep the bolt moving is still weak from a safety standpoint. Again, if you are so close to the enemy that you need a magazine in the gun then you probably shouldn't have it so tightly covered. Either a loose cover or none at all. But just my opinion.