Semi Sights

Yeah, the early ones used "pop" rivets. They added the threads so the rivets would hold better, then they went to screws.

I've not seen a factory semi gun with solid rivets.

I have 4 early guns with rivets in the shop now...they also have demilled frame internals modified for semiauto use...pretty neat. The earlyier two have wannabe military style solid rivets...both are loose and need to be replaced. Both of these have original Lyman adjustable rear sights...with a repro, unmarked aluminum base. They both have some of the worst examples of machining that I have ever seen in my life...disgusting! The latter two of the 4 have pop rivets in them with the repro adjustable sights that you find on the new 1927's now. Hope this helps.

Damon

Damon,

I've heard the the AO Trast era 27's had a little to be desired in the area of finish.

More time has been placed in that area of the newer firearms. I wouldn't mind picking up a early 27. I have a local friend that I've been working on to part with his.

Jack,

Believe it or not the outer surfaces weren't finished to badly. It was the crude machining on the inside of the gun. There was no symetry or even straight lines. The reciever looked like it was hollowed out on a drill press and badly at that. The demilled full auto frame internals were all snaggled up as well...which is pretty normal but these were a bit worse since they were full auto parts that were crudely demilled. The frame and reciever cavities took the cake. I agree that the finish Kahr is using now is much nicer than the early West Hurley's.

Damon

Yep,

My 75 Westy had riveted sight ( Lyman Mutt as stated) that PK did proper.

Also As Damon says, the outside is finnished quite nicley, but when I strip it down and have a look inside, it looks like a weekend with the dremel in the basement! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

Best, Z

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I was under the assumption that it was the external finish as well.

Improper internal finish may have been part of the demise of the Trast era.

I would think it would lead to a failure down the road as the gun would literally chew itself up.

Dremels are dangerous tools, they sure can screw things up, and fast.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Dremels, would be lost without them!

Just some bad maching went into those early reciever interiors!

shotgun_lobotomy,

You should try a tattoo machine on deer horn and the such. Pretty neat engravers they make, who would have known!

Here's a detail of some work on a copper plate.

Best, Zamm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/zamm/Copperplatefish.jpg

haha funny u should mention that, i was doing tattoos for years till i broke up with my ex and she cleaned the house out and took all my gear. just lost the heart for it plus its sooo expensive to set up

you can make a pretty simple setup at home with a coathanger , RC car motor and a ac adapter. might have to throw one together and see what i can do on metal

Edited by shotgun_lobotomy

And there you have it!

Small world, once again.

Z