Auto Ordnance Serial Number Question

Hi everyone, I am new to the board and hoping to acquire a M1 Thompson, WWII production...I've got a lead on a gun that is marked auto ordnance bridgeport conn. and has a serial number. The serial number is NOT preceded by the letters "AO"....

My question is this....Are here any WWII production auto ordnance M1's made that did not have the AO prefix before the serial number ?

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to joining a great group....

Hi Lotusnut - Welcome to the board. None of the WWII M1 or M1A1 Thompsons have letters such as AO or S preceding the serial number. The AO and S serial number prefix letters were used on the WWII 1928 model Thompsons. If this is your first Thompson purchase, I strongly suggest buying Frank Iannamico's new book, American Thunder II, before getting involved in a deal. This book will answer many basic questions and keep you out of many pitfalls you can encounter in this crazy Thompson market. You can find purchase information on this new book on the board. Good Luck and let us know how your fare.

Thanks a lot....I will definitely get the book.....So no M1 or M1A1 WWII Tommy's had the prefixes ?

One more question...The model has M1A1 with the A1 part stamped out with X's....Was this a normal marking process to differentiate between the M1 and the M1a1 models ?

I may not have time to get the book before pulling the trigger (so to speak) on this deal...Is there any way to get in touch with the author of American Thunder II by email or phone (I will still buy his book I promise !!!!!)

Thanks in advance...

QUOTE (Lotusnut @ Jan 9 2005, 07:27 PM)
Thanks a lot....I will definitely get the book.....So no M1 or M1A1 WWII Tommy's had the prefixes ?

One more question...The model has M1A1 with the A1 part stamped out with X's....Was this a normal marking process to differentiate between the M1 and the M1a1 models ?

I may not have time to get the book before pulling the trigger (so to speak) on this deal...Is there any way to get in touch with the author of American Thunder II by email or phone (I will still buy his book I promise !!!!!)

Thanks in advance...

Correct on first question.

On second question: Its not abnormal. It just means they changed out the bolt to one with a firing pin and hammer instead of the one (M1A1) that had it machined into the bolt fact (somewhat dangerous from what I have read)

I am glad you purchased the book, you will not regret it.

Hurry up and buy the Thompson before someone else does and welcome to the boards!

JR

Lotusnut - read the book before you spend your money. While waiting on the book, spend some time searching old posts on this board. There is a lot of good information here. I believe Frank Iannamico is a member of this board - search the members listing. Unless you are getting one hell of a great deal (you have not mentioned the asking price), it will certainly be better for you to learn a little bit about what you are going to spend a lot of money for. As to your question, about the A1 and the X's, again, a basic question on M1A1 Thompsons. It may indicate an arsenal rebulid at some point in time. Read the book and research the board.