Nac-45 Pictures

Arthur,

I think it is speculation to think that the receiver of Rich's Thompson was not a prototype M1 receiver prior to assembly into a complete gun by Numrich Arms Corporation. I base this on the known purchase in 1951 by Numrich Arms Corporation of all the assets of the former Auto-Ordnance Division of McGuire Industries, Inc. and the location of the bolt retracting handle disassembly hole. The markings do not really factor into my opinion at this point because I do not know what the markings are on a known original prototype. I also find it interesting that no one to date has any information that Numrich Arms Corporation produced any M1 type receivers prior to the introduction of the West Hurley M1 Thompson. Of course, in this particular case, I would want to see evidence of a M1 receiver produced by Numrich Arms Corporation prior to July 1963. Speculation is thinking Numrich Arms made up a few M1 receivers based on the prototype design. It is well known that in the 1950's and 1960's machine gun dealers had problems selling the "gangster guns" - and that was the main market for the Thompson. I just can't fathom why Numrich Arms would spend time, energy and money producing a M1 receiver from scratch when no market existed and plenty of production M1 Thompsons were available for purchase. However, I can see how they would take the time to assemble and make marketable a previously registered receiver they had in stock since 1951. We just have a different way of thinking about George Numrich and the NAC Thompsons. But that is good because so much is still unknown.

You’re right about the 1928 9mm Savage prototype and the word Caliber. I agree a change in the markings was taking place at Savage during this time period. As to the ambidextrous M1 Thompson, that is just an early production Thompson (Serial No. 307) that was converted so I don't think the markings on it are relevant for this discussion.

I like your remark about other similar examples - something that Rich has referred to earlier. Anyone out there ever seen an M1 Thompson like Rich's? Perhaps, without the engraving...or is this a one of a kind Thompson. A lot of Thompson experts look at this board. The lack of comments speaks volumes to me.

Thanks for all the input guys. To quote Sherlock Homes- "once you have eliminated the impossiable, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth.

I like your remark about other similar examples - something that Rich has referred to earlier. Anyone out there ever seen an M1 Thompson like Rich's?

Actually the person who said they saw an NAC engraved and polished wood like this was about 4 years ago on the old thompson boards that were replaced by these ones (anyone know how to go back to the old locked boards?)

If I recall correctly the version he saw was actually a 1928 with vertical foregrip but the engraving and wood looked the same. He was the only one to respond that he had see a gun like it and he explained the sales sample story. I have no first hand knowledge if this story is true but sounds reasonable enough.

Again workers at NAC who did the transfer had no information on the gun's history when it was sold in 1963. The owner asked several times though (he had a romantic though it might have been made for some El Presidente who was deposed before the order was sent )

Edited by RichFitz

• 2 months later...

UPDATE: Got back my results from the Freedom of information act. They had every bit of paperwork on my Colt Thompson including the original entry into the registry but the for NAC-45 just the last two form 4s which I already had.

All I can say is the NFA registry must be really messed up, I am no further forward but I wanted to let anyone who was interested how it went

Edited by RichFitz