This is an original press photo from my collection of weapons seized from killer Fred Burkes home after he killed a policeman in St Josephs MI on December 16th 1929.

The 2 Thompson Sub Machine Guns were later found to be the ones used in the Saint Valentines Day Massacre by ballistics expert Calvin Goddard.

post-262511-0-92054200-1623184479_thumb.jpeg

JD

The Thompsons are very cool, but I want to know about the Colt Government, the Winchester Model 07, the Savage Model 99, the Western Field Model 30, the tear gas hand grenades, heck even the drums and ammunition. Unfortunately their histories seem to have been lost.

Cheers

HANS

Ah! A fellow gangster arsenal enthusiast. Yeah, that photo of the Hamilton loadout is pretty neat. Three different shotguns, Winchester Model 07s, MK II tear gas grenades, ammunition ...

Cheers

HANS

Ah! A fellow gangster arsenal enthusiast. Yeah, that photo of the Hamilton loadout is pretty neat. Three different shotguns, Winchester Model 07s, MK II tear gas grenades, ammunition ...

Cheers

HANS

Yes Hans couldn’t agree more!

Edited by John Dillinger

• 5 months later...

I am still researching gangster gats, have added a ton of info to my manuscript. I also recently penned a long article on the converted Winchester carbines used by the Dillinger, Barker-Karpis, Stewart etc gangs that I hope to place with a publisher.

Cheers

HANS

• 1 month later...

Awesome photo...Burke wasn't someone to fool around with. :)

Rob

Well, subguns are impressive, for sure. Nothing like a Tommy Gun for clearing a room quickly?

But a person hanging back with a scoped rifle, or on the scene with a precision pistol in a back corner is still an adversary to beware of?

I have this sneaky feeling that a person wielding a subgun has a feeling of being invincible?

It only takes one well placed shot, however, to bring things to a halt?

Edited by pcmacd

• 1 month later...

According to some stories from various researchers, the police department snatched some of these guns for their own lacking arsenals back then. By the time of his arrest, Fred Burke was one mean drunk and totally paranoid. When arrested, he had thought it was Capone men coming to do him in. This guy may have been suffering from PTSD after serving in WW1.