mp41 tube the same as mp40?

MP41 parts can be adapted to an MP40 receiver tube with considerable effort. Fire control parts of MP41 are copied from the design of the MP28 SMG, which are completely different than the MP40 requiring mounting of the parts onto the bottom of the receiver tube. MP41 barrel and barrel bearing are completely different.

There are a few MP41s built on new manufacture registered MP40 tubes. FWIW

I used an MP41 parts set to turn my (tube gun) MP40 into a switchable MP40/41. The trigger parts and stock will work if clamped to the MP40 receiver by the action screws, so you don't have to weld them on like a real MP41. The only needed alteration was a small "port" cut in the bottom of the upper receiver to allow the semi-auto trip to interact with the underside of the MP41 bolt so there would be semi-auto available. This can be eliminated if semi-auto is not a priority or you're working with a real WW II receiver.

As Bob notes, the barrel and barrel bearing for the MP41 are totally different, so you can't swap them over, but I had a custom MP40 barrel made by Scott Andrey that used the MP41 parts from the front of the barrel and had a barrel nut cut to resemble the curved section of the MP41 barrel in the rear. From a few feet away, the end product sure looked like an MP41 and it could be swapped back to MP40 configuration in about ten minutes.

I see a very nice MP41 parts kit on Sturm. This question wasnt really for me, I just wanted to learn. Interesting the germans didnt just modify things in a minor way to use mp40 tubes. They decided to make a while new gun. Not surprising for Germany and I guess good for us that they liked to make things difficult for themselves vs simple.

thanks for the info.