Ffl/sot

Hi Guys,

I've been collecting NFA firearms through my corperation for sometime now. I have decided to take the plunge into the FFL/SOT world. As we all know that the waiting game is a rule of thumb with the BATF, especially during transfers of NFA firearms. I am courious if anyone can share their experience with their wait for their FFLs to be approved. I am still waiting for the phone call to set up the premises inspection. The applications went out on July 15 and the agency cashed the check on July 22, 2003. Sometime in September I e mailed the BATF's licensing center's customer service line inquiring on the status of the application. Well, I did get a reply within a couple of days that the applications were on the Legal Instrument Examiner's desk for my area since August. Some of my FFL buddies say around 90 days others 4-6 months. Since this is a corperation FFL and I the reponsible party, one would figure that it would be a no brainer. Anyway, I keep telling my future customers, anyday now. Waiting in Nevada...

I applied for my F.F.L. and it arrived within 60 days. This even amazed the agent here in the Reno,Nevada area. All went smoothly,but I did not apply for the S.O.T. at the time so I don't know if this will hold up the license. I did look into getting it last week and from what i thought it was just a matter of paying the money as they did not want anything else.Idid not apply for it as the "tax" runs from July 1 to June 30 and it is not pro rated so $500.00 a year would have been $500.00 for only about eight months.

JimF5

Jim,

I did not apply for the SOT as that comes after one receives the FFL. I put in for a Class 2 and and Import FFL. Perhaps applying for two doubles the time! Once you send in the check and paperwork for the SOT and they cash it, then you can start transferring and dealing in NFA firearms. It took my gunsmith 4 months to get his ammunition manufacturing FFL. Did the Examiner in Reno tell you how long it usually takes to at least get the call for the meeting before issuing the license? How long ago did you get your FFL?

I applied in mid March and it came dated June 1. The Inspector said it usually takes around 90-120 days. She said that a bunch came back at the same tiime so she don't know why it was such a fast turnaround.

I don't what to say except hang in there.

Jim

Thanks Guys for the feedback! Just waiting and going over the rules of engagement once all is set and done. Picked up Dan Shea's book on doing business in the C3 world, would advise it as a starting point. Thanks again and looking forward to doing business in the near future...

In the Trench