Very first Thompson build: some misc. questions (21 v. 28, parts resto

Interesting, just last week I was speaking to the local ATF office on another matter and this subject happened to come up (I find most agents are rather chatty ). Anyway, this particular agent related some of his experiences with regard individuals discovering, for example, a NFA weapon in granddads attic after his passing. The agent stated that they make every effort to find out if paperwork exists on the weapon in question and if so assist the heir in getting the item legally conveyed to them so they can keep it or sell it. If the NFA item was never entered into the system and it has some historical relevance he told me they make an effort to move it to a museum or similar institution in order to preserve it. Only then, when all avenues are exhausted, are they forced to dis[pose of the weapon. At least that is what I was told.

Times change. I hope that this is indeed the case. The era I was talking about was less than 10 years

after the upheaval of the 1960's - the assassinations, the 1968 gun control act and the 1968 MG amnesty,

plus it was an urban area (Philly). So it would not surprise me if they were more gung ho back then.

Bob