I've been shooting my Savage '28 for ten years or so and never had a bad time. I like my Thompson and thought I was having a good time. I read a post awhile back that eluded to the '21. It stuck with me to the point that I managed to scrounge up a Colt 1921 buffer/actuator set-up. I shot the thing yesterday for the first time. Thus, WOW. It is a totally different gun. It's going to be difficult taking these parts out of the gun. I'm thinking it ain't going to happen. Well, there goes a 50% increase in my 45 ammo outlay.

If you have one and you haven't , you should.

Bob D

Another guy hooked on speed! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Bug,

I agree completely. I put the 1921 setup into my '28A1 and really like the way it performs. It is a little harder to get two and three round bursts. Keep this in mind if you are competing in the pepper poppers at the TCA shoot in August. Other than that, I love the 1921 setup.

Roger

Has anybody here ever milled down a WWII actuator, in effect giving the same weight and performance as a '21 without using original '21 parts?

TSMGguy,

My (registered) conversion 27A1 full-auto has a milled down M1 bolt in it. It has had 1/10 of an inch removed from it to fit in the gun. Also, it has had a slot cut in it for the regisered firing pin.

With all of this weight missing, it shoot about 950 rounds per minute in full-auto.

It is a blast to shoot! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Norm

I have one of PK`s 21 internal setups in my 21 and it works flawlessly...that was the first item I bought PK and judging by the quality, I have had Paul do two more major projects( a WH 28 remanufactoring and a Savage 28 rewat)....his work is great and so are the parts he sells... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

QUOTE (adlake @ Jul 2 2005, 04:05 AM)
Bug-
    What setup did you get the hybred?-adlake

adlake, I used an original actuator and pilot/buffer from a Colt '21. This was an unregistered PD gun that was (sigh) cut up.

A 28 actuator can be milled down to "21 spec with not too much difficulty. I believe PK does this and also supplies a "hybrid" buffer/pilot assembly. I used a new Wolfe '21 spring because that is what PK suggested. The thing is the '28 actuators are getting kind of pricey. They are somewhat prone to breakage in the front portion. I've encountered many that were weld repaired. This happens to '21s also.

I could email pics (supplied to me by fellow board member) of the 21 and hybrid buffer assembly.

The damned '21 setup is addictive.

Bob D