Ammo Question

Hey guys,

Need some opinions on ammo that I'll be shooting tomorrow and how safe it would be to shoot in a TSMG. Myself and 2 co-workers are going to our range tomorrow to shoot a variety of weapons. I will be bringing, amongst others, a very low 3 digit serial numbered WH 1928 TSMG. Everything, except the reciever and barrel is Savage. The gun has had less than 1500rds through it and is in very good shape.

The question: My department changed ammo recently and has a large supply of Hydra-Shok 45 ammo that needs to be "burned up." Will this be any problem for the WH? I've read all the posts about Wolf and other questionable ammo but haven't seen anything about this quality of ammo being shot. Besides, who could afford to shoot it? Not me !!

Also, any problems seen with the same ammo being shot through a 1921 that has "been around" but is in good mechanical condition?

Thanks in advance !!!

First Sergeant,

No idea how this would function but I burned up a box of ammo loaded with Hornady Hollowpoints ("flying ashtrays" similar to Hydra-shoks) and had a lot of misfeeds.....the guns were desiogned primarily for round nose ammo.

Why not sell the Hydra-Shok instead of burning it up? You could buy a lot of blasting ammo for sure. If shipping and price wasn't too costly I'd take a few hundred rounds off ya.....I carry a .45 with Hydra-shoks! And I'm sure a lot of other folks carry this stuff too!

Take the stuff to a gun show and peddle it there....then buy twice as much wolf!

BTW, the new wolf runs great in my '28. Dirty, but consistent! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

john

John,

Not mine to sell and I believe they would have some moral dilemma selling it to the unknown entity at a gun show. We change ammo somewhat frequently and apparently we don't have enough people carrying .45 for it to be used up as training ammo......and then there is the problem of it being lead. We've switched mostly to frangible for training which doesn't have the power to function reliably in any Thompson I've tried to shoot it through.

Chuck

Chuck, it should be no problem if it is not +P- Don’t shoot +P in your Tommy. Otherwise, if it feeds and cycles, go for it.