Oye vey. Need proof of ownership per BATF

Grasshopper

Hi All,

Things that make you scratch your head.

I received a Form 5320.20 from BATF in a timely 3 weeks! Disapproved. The examiner used the reason "Proof of ownership needed." Errrr, Ummmmm, it is registered to me by BATF!

Ok. I'm staring at my approved Form 4 in one hand and the 5320.20 in the other. S/N's match. Manufacturer matches, lengths, and caliber. Assuming I'm not missing anything, does anyone have any thoughts on how to proceed?

In the past I've been told that I no longer owned a firearm due to it being transferred 6 months earlier (it was resting in the safe). On that one they emailed me and exchanged information and hopefully that was sorted out. On this form it only states "Disapproved" (big red letters) with the above reason.

I'm going for some quality time on the phone Monday, after lunch.

Anyone else have this happen? What was the resolution?

Sincerely,

Grasshopper

ps. I've been told by some to do a 5320.20 on everything you might want to carry out of state in a natural disaster. The secondary reason is to verify that BATF has your paperwork in order.

Edited by Grasshopper

The term "ownership" needs some clarification when used by ATF simply because they have no authority over "ownership". That term involves the legal transfer of property, so I very am curious why ATF regards property issues as part of their jurisdiction. One can still be the registrant of an NFA item but not be the legal owner. Very odd.

They prob'ly misfiled thier copy . I sold my FA BAR and they sent me a letter that it was still registered to the shop that repaired it years ealier . I sent them a copy of the approved paperwork and the went ahead with the transfer . Not a big deal .

Chris

A substantial number of people register firearms in the name of a trust, LLC, or Corporation then when submitting the 5320.20 use their own name - which leads the proof of registration request because only the registrant can get permission to move or transfer. If that is not the case, you could send a copy of your registration back - that should turn a light on somewhere.

I received a Form 5320.20 from BATF in a timely 3 weeks!

ps. I've been told by some to do a 5320.20 on everything you might want to carry out of state in a natural disaster.

Hum, with a hurricane bearing down on us now, and a lot of uncertainty on exactly where it's going in Florida, and only a couple of days before it hits, I guess all you can do is stay in Florida and try and dodge the hurricane with your registered guns in your vehicle (assuming it looks like you're going to be directly hit and you're on the coast).

Maybe a better plan is to hunker down and keep your Thompson in your safe room as a last resort to counter the looters. I recall a board member in Houston had an issue with flooding a year or two ago with a hurricane. Interesting questions.

How long is the 5320.20 valid, not that you would necessarily know where to go in any given hurricane.

How long is the 5320.20 valid, not that you would necessarily know where to go in any given hurricane.

It's valid for as long as you indicate with the start through end date when you file the 5320.20, which can be up to 1 calendar year from your initial starting date.