Which Colt model demands more $$$

I would say the 21s without compensator have more collector value being the "original" items.

Me, I prefer the 21s with the compensator due to the more traditional look.

Although the overstamps may be more rare, they don't appear to bring in as much as a non overstamp.

My price study showed that the 1928 Navy Overstamp Colt in 95-98% condition outstripped all other models of Thompson including 21 colts with or without compensators. "Closed" sales were in excess of 23-25K. No 21 are bringing that.

John Jr

I didn't think about the original 27 Devlin, or even rarer one made of stainless steel models! A prototype would probably hold a higher value.

But then the rarer models weren't part of the question.

>The Colt 1921A

>The Colt 1921/28AC

The latest serial numbered Colt 28N's (aside from those in the 15,000 range which have yet to turn up), can also be considered as close to original since they never left Auto-Ord before having the barrel's changed and re-fitted with the 2nd model Cutt's along with the slower 2-piece actuator and over stamping. Most of the early guns were sold as 21A’s and then shipped back by the owners for upgrades to 21AC’s or 28N’s. The 28N was the most expensive Colt Thompson version sold at the time. Even though Auto-Ord did not sell Thompson’s starting with the lowest to highest serial numbers, the first 3,000 were pretty much sold in order of which came off the assembly line first. These would account for the models sold between 1921 and 1922. These early Colt's seem to be in rougher condition when seen on the market today, although some have seen the bluing tank and new barrels since leaving the factory. Since the total production of the Colt's is outrageously low for a "mass" produced weapon, I don't believe that early serial numbers command more money than latter. It comes down to condition of original bluing, parts, and documented historical relevance. The number of Colt's with a pedigree can be counted on one, maybe two hands, and are not likely to see the light of day. Colt 21AC's seem to be the most representative on the market today, following the 28N's and then the 21A's. The 1927 model, while maybe only 20 still exist, are usually found to have full auto parts inside them. Other than the carved out engraving on the receiver, the 27 Model is not that coveted since the gun overall is a distinction without a difference. Unless the 1927 Model is a 1927A. That is rare.

Unlike Lugar’s that have every part numbered, it is impossible to determine how original (as in came off the assembly line) the interior parts of a Colt Thompson are, other than that they are Colt parts. . The strange thing is that the condition of the wood on a Colt is never considered part of the equation when rating the overall condition of a Colt for sale. Most of the Colt wood seen on guns today ranges from nearly black frame grips and stocks to much lighter walnut. The bright cherry red tint to the wood would be a definite tip off to replacement wood.