Atf Aproval Time

The following argument by poster Lee at DPI as to why a money order expedites a form 3/4 submission is from the Sturmgewehr board. I have redacted the usual flame parts. How does this scenario play here?

QUOTE I have three form 4's right NOW with the dates 7/12/99 from the day they were filled out By me and the Sot3 dealer then Overnighted to Batf Chicago then overnighted by batf Chicago to D.C.,Then Approved 7/27/99 and I had the form 4's in my hand 4 day's later, That's 19 days flat.

The postal money order when received by Batfe goes to batfe's account for Treasury deposit in Chicago and the form 4 goes to Washington D.C.That night Fedex overnight,No holding of postal money order for 5 days like other forms of payment.Yeah your cashiers check and company check can be held for up to 5 days,But normal out of town transactions within the banking commumity are 3 days these days.Now thats 5 days quicker and less time I have to wait for the return.  

And if you want to see them done quicker in say 1 hour,Go into the Movie business,They are done that quick for the movie Industry.I've seen it first hand at a Movie Prop company that rents machine guns and DD's to the movie Industry and are on form 3's.Then theirs a FFL/Sot3 in South Florida that Guarantee's a 14 day total transfer time from him to Batfe,Back to him and in the new owners hands and he's done it 15 times this year alone,Only catch is it will cost the person/tranferee 400.00 for the service thru an Attorney.And I sure the hell wouldn't pay anybody a penny to try that routine.

You just have to learn how the system really works. OH,As far as Company checks and cashiers checks being good as gold, Yes if the money is in their account like you said, But they are still held to make sure their also not fakes, As I had 13 people that sent to me fake money orders,cashiers checks and even a US postal money order to buy weapons parts from the company I own and all they received was an Empty box delievered by a U.S.Secret Service Agent and the sound of hand cuffs going around their wrists until they could prove otherwise.12 were convicted and went to prison.The Postal Money order was handled buy the US Postal Service Police and that person tried 13 times with the fake USPS money orders,Guess it shows it wasn't his lucky number.And Greg this isn't a Flame,It just goes to show that their are faster ways to get a transfer done without spending alot of money.

Here is the reply by TOAD

QUOTE -If the funds are there, the form of payment has ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING ON THE TRANSFER TIME! If you send a check or a USPS Money Order, it doesn't matter because whatever the payment is gets stripped off and the forms get forwarded to NFA branch in DC. They might hold the check for 5 days, but that doesn't effect the forms going to DC one little bit. The process in Chicago is simple:

1. Envelope arrives
2. Envelope is opened
3. Payment is taken out of envelope and deposited in the bank
4. forms are forwarded to NFA branch in DC

It is that simple. There aren't different stacks of forms based on the form of payment-if your form 4 with a US Postal Money Order arrives in Chicago the same day my form 4 arrives with a company check, the money order and check are both deposited in the bank and both of our Form 4s are sent to NFA branch in DC. My form 4 does not linger in Chicago waiting for the check to clear.

As for transfer times, I wasn't bragging about my most recent transfer time, I was simply stating that my latest transfer took 34 days and that was with the Thanksgiving Holdiay in the middle. I don't care if your transfers take 9 days or 9 years, that doesn't mean a thing to me. As for super-fast, guaranteed transfers, I know all about it. There is a dealer in the area that has an attorney on retainer for expediting transfers. He does this for his own transfers-I am not sure if he offers it as an extra service(with an extra charge) to his customers or not-but like you, I wouldn't spend the money on it. I can easily wait 30, 60 or 90 days, NFA isn't a hobby for the impatient.

As I said before-if you want to use a Money order of any type, feel free, but I prefer to know when my check has been cashed so I know the process has begun and my forms at least made it safely to Chicago.

I could not help but notice the dates referred to on the ATF forms were in July, 1999. That was a long time ago.

I deal with a Federal government agency that I will leave nameless every day and processes have become much slower in the last two years with them.

Does anyone have current data to support or rebut the premise presented?

2ndAmendment,...I`ve gone thru a lot of transfers,personally and I always use a personal or my company check to help match up the paper work in case they become separated on somebody`s desk,..that was on advise from a C3 dealer with 35yrs. in the business that usually handles most of my transfers.I do know this much,..if you deal with a reputable dealer... the transfers go smoothly...also, you can add more time because of the 9/11 tragedy...30 days use to be the norm..now...2-3 times as long,.. hope this helps.KEEPEM` SMOKIN`,out. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Yeah, that was 1999. Hell the gun was only about $5000 then also. I had my last form 4 take 90 days from the time I sent it off to the day I got it back. They cashed the MO the day they received it. I next dayed it to Chicago, they deposited the Mo that day. Alot has happened since 1999 that makes the old boys and girls in DC take their time. If I get another F4 going here soon, I'll let you know how long it takes then.

I MAILED A F4 FOR A SAVAGE M1 THOMPSON ON AUG 20, 2004. THE BANK CHECK WAS DEPOSITED AUG 24, THE FROM 4 WENT PENDING SEPT 24, 2003.

I HAVE CALLED SEVERAL TIMES AS I AM VERY ANXIOUS TO GET IT (24 WEEKS AND STILL COUNTING). I DID RECEIVE ABOUT 2 WEEKS AGO A NEW CITIZENSHIP CERTIFICATION FORM TO COMPLETE AND RESUBMIT, SO MAYBE THIS MEANS IT IS MOVING AHEAD??? THE ONLY THING THAT SCARES ME THOUGH IS I HAVE A TRANSFER FOR A REISING THAT I SUBMITTED IN NOVEMBER AND THE CHECK AND THE PAPERWORK DID GET SEPERATED ON THOSE. WHO KNOWS HOW LONG THAT ONE WILL TAKE???

P.S. WHAT EXACTLY DOES THE PENDING STATUS IMPLY? DOES THIS MEAN THEY HAVE SIMPLY RECEIVED THE PAPERWORK AND HAVE ACKNOWLEDGED IT, OR DOES THIS MEAN THE BACKGROUND CHECK HAS CLEARED AND THEY ARE JUST AWAITING SIGNATURES?

I just had a Form 4 approved for the sale of my Colt Navy - about 80 days total from the time I mailed it.

I believe in using personal checks so I know when they are cashed. I doubt it holds up the process at all.

My check was cleared 10 days after I mailed the Forms.

QUOTE P.S. WHAT EXACTLY DOES THE PENDING STATUS IMPLY? DOES THIS MEAN THEY HAVE SIMPLY RECEIVED THE PAPERWORK AND HAVE ACKNOWLEDGED IT, OR DOES THIS MEAN THE BACKGROUND CHECK HAS CLEARED AND THEY ARE JUST AWAITING SIGNATURES?

GMAN In Florida answered this question on the Sturmgewehr board:

QUOTE Going pending means that the paperwork (ATF Form #x) has been entered into their system and assigned an examiner. The days between your check being cashed and the "pending" status do not officially count toward the processing time. The only good thing about having your check cashed is that you know the paperwork made it to the check deposit section - now it needs to make it to the NFA examining area. It's kind of like a black hole for a couple of weeks between the cashing and pending stages. Then it goes into the abyss for a few months with no info other than "it's pending". Pending what? - has been open to much debate, but hopefully in 3 months or so it emerges as an approval or disapproval.

I just sent in my form 4 paperwork ysesterday.

I was at the PO and got a PO money order for the $200.

It was painless, just use the ATM card! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif I didn't even have to beg the wife for the chekbook....