Isolation activity...

I have been getting back into fine-scale modeling, from my youth. Specifically, Tamiya kits of Russian armored vehicles: BT-7, JSU-152, and T-34/85. It has been difficult to acquire supplies and even the Amazon-ordered kits will takes weeks to be delivered. And playing guitar again... this hobby took me away from that.

Here in the UK, we are still permitted to go out to do one form of exercise per day.

Thankfully we live 5 minutes walk from fields and woodland, so I have been going out for a walk each day, early morning, so I rarely meet anyone else, just the odd dog walker and we respect the recommended 6 foot distance. The walk initially took me about two hours and passes by some remnants of Hadrian's Wall, it is a beautiful countryside walk with some spectacular views, and now after weeks of doing the walk I am only taking a 1 1/2 hours to complete it, so I am getting fitter too.

The time on my hands also permitted me to write a couple of articles for 'The Armourer' magazine, a militaria magazine here in the UK, my 2nd article has just been published in Mays edition.

On top of that, I have been working through a work related online course, so something else to add to my CV for future employment. I have just finished the final module of that, so now I only have the case history part to complete and that is my goal for today, so signing off now.

Stay safe

Richard

Cleaning my shop, completing minor maintenance on MG mounts I have put off for several years, cataloging pieces in my military collection as well as those pieces in my brass model train collection, mainly just enjoying the down time.

Having worked at home since I retired in 2006 I am primarily just going on with my daily activities as before. The only real change I have made is shifting my walking exercise from the city park to Shiloh National Military Park due to the closure of the city park. Nice thing about Shiloh is that it is somewhat off the beaten trail and during the this crisis very few people are visiting the park so there are days it seems I have the park all to myself.

Making Mag lip repair tools, then sitting on the front porch, weather permitting, with a good cigar and a glass of bourbon.

• Upvote 1

Changed the engine oil and filters - early - on every vehicle we own, whether driven and used these days or not. Don't know what comes next, but we'll be facing it with clean engine oil.

Mainly being grateful being retired and living in the country away from crowds with my wife and dog.Plenty to keep me busy. That pizza looks awesome ! Edited by anticus

I'd put off in-depth maintenance on several things, so that's getting done. I've ordered Bruce Canfield"s book on the M1 Rifle, so I've been reading that and comparing it to my M1 Rifles.

Going to work and reading The Gun That Made the 20’s Roar since I found a first edition on Etsy for 10 bucks...sometimes reading it at work. These times get boring when they cut the amount of flying you can do by 2/3.

Cleaned out one safe. Kind of got it organized. Kind of. Maybe do another one this week. Cleaned out the garage. Burned the wood pile, added more to it and will burn again this week.

Bored. Need to go to work. I actually kind of miss it. Kinda.

The pizza does look good.

Loading thousands of rounds of ammunition. Finally sorting the 5 gal buckets of brass and running it through the cleaner. Almost finished the .45acp and 9mm. Already had a lifetime supply of .40 S&W. Maybe tackle the .38 Spcl and .357 Mags next. Guess I am lucky to have a major supply of components. Did have to order more boxes from Dillon...

When things get back to normal I see a lot of range time in my future!

Starting to reload ammo.

Too bad our gun club closed per Gov orders (private club.....) So can't work up rifle loads.

Previous comments about Shiloh.... neat place but no single visitor is ever alone....good place to reflect on those who died there.

I have been doing the jobs I have been putting off. Painted some inside walls, cleaned out my closets, cleaned out my gutters, took the snow plow off my ATV, fixed the flat tire on my tractor (instead of airing it back up every time I used it), cleaned up branches and twigs, cut the grass, cleaned windows, cleaned up the garage, and shed. Also have been putting some stuff on Gun Broker that have accumulated over the past 25 years. I almost have my "pile" down to only "needed" things. (No more Thompson parts left, sorry.) Fixed the back stop on my backyard range, (pile of logs that rolled down after the retaining posts fell over.) After a several month hiatus, wrote a few articles for SAR and SADJ magazine. NOW I'm ready for the crisis to end so I can get back to doing nothing!

I only took one picture but running the mill on a Philly receiver was a great way to spend some social distancing.... It went bang today!

Hi Dan,

If you need a project how about designing a reliable firing pin for Reisings? I have tried one of Keystone's titanium pins, lasted 500 rounds. If you look at a BAR firing pin I think it could easily be adapted to work, another possibility is the thin end of an M16 pin attached to the back end of a broken Reising pin? I have never broken either pin (in the original guns) after many THOUSANDS of rounds.

Working with board member Strange Ranger, we were able to get Indianapolis Ordnance to make new Reising bolts, which solved one problem, now if there was just a RELIABLE firing pin. I had one made by a gunsmith with a very short end, but I think it was too brittle and didn't last. BTW I also tried PAUL F's inertia firing pin theory on an original and a titanium firing pin. It did help some, but they both eventually broke. Maybe an idea to incorporate into a new design. Link to the inertia firing pin theory http://www.machinegu...?showtopic=8854