Gunbroker Display Gun

http://www.1898andb-4.com/images_guns/0592.jpg

WW2 M1A1 Thompson Display Gun This magnificent piece of history was carefully put back together from a torch cut demilled parts set into a great M1A1 display gun. All parts are WW2 and the back half of the bolt functions. The chamber is welded shut, barrel welded to the frame, front section of the bolt is welded to the bolt cavity. It cannot ever chamber or fire anything. The magazine has been permanently deactivated to comply with eBay regulations. The bolt handle can be locked back and the trigger pulled just like the original firing model. The condition is excellent and retains most of the original markings except where the torch passed through. Sling is not included.

Gunbroker Tommy

The guy finally hit the reserve after 9 bids

Don't know why not its still quite demiliterized to say the least. WHat would be the charge? Assembling what, a..... bunch of metal... as it certainly can not be defined as making a firearm even if one could be used to threaten someone and result in a charge ag assault- that is about it to me but I was wrong once.

hahaha

Mark

Don't know. That same seller sold a '28 for around $2000.00 last year. Same setup as his M1. IMA does offer a few of their WW2 Display Guns with welded up cut Receivers. They claim there ATF legal. Besides all that, even IF one were to get this Dudes M1 working, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the first one firing it....

• 2 weeks later...
He's been using the same picture of the Thompson for 5 years that I can remember. I think he has one or two good pictures and just uses those. He has been around for some time and not changed the name so I would say he's on the up. Of course his prices for these are on the going up as well.

He's been using the same picture of the Thompson for 5 years that I can remember.

So he's got an endless supply of these that he's making up? That seems a little far fetched to me. I looked over his site and I see nothing about Thompsons .. only other antique and collectable weapons.

I Have dealt antiques with Jim for a number of years. He is not a sting operation. His display guns are quite high quality,and would take about as much work to reactivate as milling out a Philadelphia Ordinance receiver.Are they LEGAL??. I don't know. I think that BATFE's line to cross is quite fluid,and would have to be determined on a case by case basis. Would I buy one?? NOPE! Got too much to lose to be the test case. I do not feel,however,that Jim is trying to deceive or intentionally break the law. He interprets his method of rewelding the front of the receiver into a solid block as being BATFE compliant. BTW,I have handled one of these display guns,and the front round section of the bolt is cut off and welded into the barrel and ejector port.The next 3" or so of the receiver is solid steel,then the rear section of an m1 bolt travels in a channel about 4" long. The height of the bolt and the depth of the channel have also been reduced from original dimensions. Pretty cool! They sure ought to be legal. Also,he does use a stock photo for his displays. Probably not a good move.People need to see exactly what they are buying.

MY $.02!

REISINGSTAR http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Philohio,

Good eye! The front of the receiver is a little wider.Would it not be cool to replace the bolt section with a Co2 powered reciprocating plunger with the valve tied into the trigger.It wouldn't be hard to rig that to shoot the old style Mattel green roll caps.What an awesome re-enactment toy that could be!Fun to dream. Wish we didn't have to be so afraid of our own tax supported government when all we want is some harmless recreation.

REISINGSTAR http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif