Tracie Hill's Resignation From Tca

Just got a form letter from Tracie anouncing his resignation from the TCA effective 12/16/05 due to a dissagreement with the Board of Directors. He is starting another organization "The American Thompson Association"

The August Show and Shoot will continue as a personal event run by his family.

Did everyone know about this but me?

I was wondering what was going on also. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif

Yesterday I received an email from Pat Wheeler at TCA that there was an important message from Carol Troy on the TCA site.

Today I received a letter from Tracie that he has left TCA and started TATA, The American Thompson Association.

KGV

I got the email from Pat yesterday also, and he told me I would get something from TH in the mail about his new group. Said he could not agree with some decision they had. Who knows.

I just got that letter in the mail today also. Sad to see everything is not OK in Thompsonland.

I would like to know the jist of the disagreement, without hashing it out here. Anyone privy to a synopsis of what is going on?

I guess the good news is that maybe there will be two clubs that will have me as a member. But I hope this doesn't turn ugly. I can't imagine Tracie quitting over something trivial. I think the TCA BOD owes the members an explanation, which I will ask Carol for.

I too would be interested to know as well as to the issue as I would like to know if the club I belong shares my view points as well or has a different stand.

If could be a millon things from non-club related to the club's backing of AO and the semi-auto pieces of junk.

If anyone has any info, please let me know.

Does anyone know if this impacts the publications of the TCA newsletters, as my memgbership still is good for 6 more months? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

Mike Hammer

kyle, it is because today is your birthday and he wasn't invited! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

There was so many good people involved, I hope this doesn't split everybody up into "US" VS "THEM" I really enjoyed these events!!!! It's always hard to get everybody on the same page. Hope things work out. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

I talked to Tracie just a few minutes ago. No panic in the streets. It was just a disagreement on what the TCA wanted him as a past president and past board member to do. He resigned on good terms. And all is well according to Tracie. Everybody is still friends. The group will be just about the same. Even the TCA should be at Tracie's TATA in August he said. Nobody went away angry and he said ok, I know what to do, so I'll have my own thing....again. And he said it is no big deal to him if we are member's of BOTH groups. Cost will be $30 just like the TCA and he will have the same newsletter out every 3 months. There will be a S & S in August at his house just as before.

So I am on the list for his group and I will stay on the TCA as before. I just hope the TCA shows are still close to Indy!

QUOTE (full auto 45 @ Dec 27 2005, 08:27 PM)
I talked to Tracie just a few minutes ago. No panic in the streets. It was just a disagreement on what the TCA wanted him as a past president and past board member to do. He resigned on good terms. And all is well according to Tracie. Everybody is still friends. The group will be just about the same. Even the TCA should be at Tracie's TATA in August he said. Nobody went away angry and he said ok, I know what to do, so I'll have my own thing....again. And he said it is no big deal to him if we are member's of BOTH groups. Cost will be $30 just like the TCA and he will have the same newsletter out every 3 months. There will be a S & S in August at his house just as before.
So I am on the list for his group and I will stay on the TCA as before. I just hope the TCA shows are still close to Indy!

Hey, this sounds like a way to double the fees for the Thompson association. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Well, Tracy's leaving may affect the outcome of the Western Show and Shoot this coming April as the TCA covered us with thier insurance policy. According to Don Hall, master of the western show, the TCA might not continue to carry the insurance because Tracy pulled out. The Eastern shoot is his baby now. Unless the western group switches to the ATA for insurance coverage, and Tracy told Don that wouldn't be availible till later in the year, we may have to find our own insurance or cancel the event. If half the members jump ship and follows TH to the new club then watch our beloved TCA fade away. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

Ok, here is the poop as of tonight on the TCa website and the email I got from Pat or Carol. This is copied right of the website's page. Here's a linky incase you don't believe me.

TCA webpage

All the discussion going on in machinegunbooks.com has come to our attention.  The discussion is rife with conjecture about the split.  This page is to dispel the rumors that have no basis.  The split involves privacy information which we believe does not belong in a public forum.  That given, we will comment on what has no basis in fact.

1.  TCA and TATA may have differences in the way they operate, but we both have the same goal of supporting the Thompson community.

2.  The split is in no way related to Auto-Ordnance (Kahr Arms)

3.  The newsletters will continue.  Formats, etc., have not yet been finalized.  Pat Wheeler is the new editor.  You may contact him at tca1934@comcast.net with any of your ideas, suggestions for articles, etc.

4.  The split was not over money.

5.  As for insurance, the TCA intends to retain liability insurance and support Don Hall's Western Show & Shoot.  At this point, we're not sure of what we have.  Carol Troy is in the process of researching our insurance policy.  When everything is sorted out, Carol will publish her findings.

It's hard to belive that an argument over those boxes would cause such a rift especially since it's been quite some time since those repro boxes were produced. If you log on to the website now they have adressed some of the talk that has gone on here since the announcement. They say it is a private, personal matter that they will not discuss. It would be best if we all knew exactly what went down, otherwise there will be more talk. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

Mike Hammer

QUOTE (Mike Hammer @ Dec 30 2005, 08:55 PM)
It's hard to belive that an argument over those boxes would cause such a rift especially since it's been quite some time since those repro boxes were produced.

Those little boxes sure got alot of peoples blood pumpin here on the board. But your right, it has been awhile ago.

Phil, you obviously put a lot of thought into your last comments and expressed youself quite well, I pretty much stand behind what you have said. If you are a current member of The TCA, why not paste and mail these comments to the TCA and let them know how you feel, it may convince them to explain exactly what went down in that meeting and the meaning of the two groups. As a current member of the TCA, I for one don't like the split, which will apparently force me to choose one camp or the other. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Mike Hammer

Phil,

You bring up a lot of good points.

I am a consummate collector. Been one most of my youth and ALL of my adult life. Invariably, an organization that starts out to gather and disperse information throughout the collecting community invariably gets involved in internal politics and personnel issues. Sadly, a small part comes from the way that the club and/or publication is being run. Most problems and friction indeed stem from money, whether the collected items are being sold through formal or informal club channels making a specific dealer or dealers “rich”, being reproduced or merely having conflicts so great that the club tears itself apart and two exist. I have seen this more than once in different collecting genres.

You are right in that keeping a level head is the best way to approach this. Any organization that publishes a magazine or newsletter that educates the collector is a positive thing. When the information cannot be shared due and does not flow freely, possibly, due to the differences that caused the initial break, the entire collecting community suffers.

Tracie Hill is Mr. Thompson and a wealth of information that we should not lose. I would rather see him start another "group" (for lack of a better word) than to totally withraw from the Thompson collecting world and stop sharing information with us. I know Pat Wheeler personally and he is a good guy in the class III community. At least this split is starting out with some decent credibility at the top of each group.

I hope that all works out and the Thompson community does not suffer but somehow gains from the potential competition.