27a1 Barrel Shortened

Here is another one.

This however is a 27-A3 22 caliber. I had a welding/machine shop in town fit the compensator over the barrel and braze it in place. I don't trust Myself brazing aluminum as it get's too close to melting temps. It still has the recessed bore so it looks bigger than 22. Overall barrel length is 16.5 inches.

I also added an M1A1 surplus buttstock and hand made a copy of an original m1a1 horizontal foregrip but made it one inch longer than stock. Maybe should have gone one and a half inches but it looks pretty good. I also replaced the grip mount with a steel one and glass bedded lead weight in the forearm. I JB welded a lead weight in the empy area behind the bolt and put lead washers in the hollow in the buttstock bringing the overall weight up to 9 pounds. It feels alot more convincing than it did before. The only other thing I did was put a heavier hammer spring in it as it was misfiring alot (which is why it was sold to Me I think) but it shoots fine now. I want to do this on a 27A1 if I get some extra cash this year.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/939783/27a33.jpg

Edited by maverick4440

maverick4440,

Damm nice work you did to that.

I think the horizontal looks perfect, nice effect.

Great idea about the wieght.

Z

QUOTE (Zamm @ Mar 25 2005, 12:27 PM)
maverick4440,
Damm nice work you did to that.
I think the horizontal looks perfect, nice effect.
Great idea about the wieght.
Z

Thanks.

I really thought this would satisfy My itch for a Thompson and it has to some degree but after playing with it and working on it I really have the bug to get a .45 now. I have a 1911 already and .45 loading dies so it's not out of the question. I like the .22 because it's cheap to shoot but it's not, well.......a .45. Maybe later this year.

Remove the compensator, take it to a machinist and have him extend the internal threads all the way through to the muzzle. Screw it back on until its flush with the end if the barrel. Lock it with Loctite and you have the effect of a two inch shorter barrel.

pvmain,

Do you happen to have a close up image of your '27 compensator? I think this would be a great way to shorten the look of my Kahr '27.

The Kahr is pinned in place, so I was thinking of machining a new comp and placing the pin hole at the front of the comp. Then filing the pin to match the contour of the comp before bluing. Then I can always knock the pin out and go back to the orginal comp if I choose. Thanks